Magic in the Fish Room! Baby Brine!

On a serious note - I have been wondering what the delta is between frozen baby brine and live baby brine. Obviously, I can only imagine the live is better but I wonder if anyone has done any kind of objective testing (or even just somewhat scientific anecdotal) on the real world results between the two. 

• Administrators

I would guess dean has actual data. I myself just know that they don't feed nearly the same rate also I find live baby brine to be cheaper than frozen baby brine even at wholesale for me.

Frozen Baby Brine shrimp in my opinion should only be used if you absolutely have to. When thawed it just sinks in water and most of it is just mush. Will it keep your fry alive?, maybe, it depends if they go after it. Live baby brine shrimp swim around and trigger fry to strike out and eat, that is why almost all successful breeders use it and swear by it. It makes bringing fry along much easier. Also it is far cheaper to hatch live baby brine shrimp than buy frozen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Karl Cockburn said:

I was using live baby brine to raise my baby axolotl and was feeding my left over to my whiteclouds now I have loads of baby whiteclouds 

Ah *this* is what I like to hear - just got my 20 long setup with a couple of golden white clouds and hoping to turn a few into many, many more. 

One thing I'm wondering: I vaguely recall @Cory saying if you wanted to breed white clouds to have them alone in the tank - no shrimp, no snails, nothing. Even a nerite or two? Little pond snails to help with cleanup and keep the tank balanced? 

5 minutes ago, mineralNTL said:

Ah *this* is what I like to hear - just got my 20 long setup with a couple of golden white clouds and hoping to turn a few into many, many more. 

One thing I'm wondering: I vaguely recall @Cory saying if you wanted to breed white clouds to have them alone in the tank - no shrimp, no snails, nothing. Even a nerite or two? Little pond snails to help with cleanup and keep the tank balanced? 

Snails can eat the eggs and reduce fry production and can eliminate it entirely. I didn't have success with breeding white clouds until I kept them alone with no snails.

• Thanks 2