Parameter Repair Conundrum

ADMWNDSR83

At this point, I am struggling with my parameters.  My fish do not seem to be adversely affected at all, but I want to be sure they are thriving and at ease. 

The tank in question is a 37 gallon planted, blasting sand substrate and a couple pieces of driftwood.  Living in there are a clown pleco, 6 Schwarz Cories, three lyretail mollies, two golden wag swords, and two koi angelfish. (And a partridge in a pear tree)

My Alkalinity is quite low (around 40 I believe), and my pH runs between 6.8 and 7.2.  Speaking with Cory the other day, from the co-op not one of my fish, it was suggested I use some crushed coral to raise my pH and alkalinity.  As I was doing some research, I also noted that this often increases the hardness of the water.  My water is already extremely hard, often reading in the neighborhood of 300.  

Any ideas on how I should handle this?  Should I leave everything as is unless the fish show signs of stress, or should I swing for the fences and dump an entire pet store in, or something in between.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful and love my local lfs, but I trust you all more on this one!  Thanks!

In general it is futile and even a mistake to chase numbers. If the fish are doing well, it is usually a good idea to quit while you are ahead. 

But as far as nudging water parameters goes, a little crushed coral never hurt anything. If the pH is low, the crushed coral will dissolve faster, if the pH is high the crushed coral (Calcium Carbonate) won't dissolve very fast. 

But usually if there any doubt, my first plan is to do nothing, wait a week and reassess later.

Edited by Daniel
*Alkalinity and pH are subtly different things with alkalinity being the amount of Calcium Carbonate or Bicarbonate and pH being the amount Hydrogen ions. But both are related.
  • Thanks 1

I second the not chasing numbers thought. Out of tap my water is acidic so the pH in my tanks will be in the low 6’s and soft. So I chose fish that come from areas with similar conditions which means most of my fish are South American. I also use crushed coral in my filters but its in there to add minerals to the water I don’t put enough in to raise the pH significantly. 

Edited by Paul
  • Thanks 1