Hydra and shrimp/snails

Have a five gallon that houses four mystery snails, four amino shrimp, a bunch of ramshorns and some pond snails. Located some hydra in the tank and want to get rid of it. Watched utube videos that suggest fenbendozole to get rid of it. Is it shrimp safe and has anyone delt with it before? Would love to hear about it. Thanks

I've used fenbendozole (Panacure C) in my shrimp tank. It is shrimp safe but will kill snails. I've read stuff on the internet that says it doesn't bother some species of snails but my personal experience says it will kill ramshorns and pond snails.

Have you considered just waiting out the hydra? Without a steady food source they'll die back pretty quickly. I think my hydra infestation took ~3 weeks to fully resolve once I stopped needing to feed live bbs to my fry each day.

• Like 1

I second waiting it out vs adding toxins. I had hydra in my shrimp tank. They go dormant with no bbs or bbs eggs or powdered fry food. Mine stay to small to eat even new born shrimp. Powdered shrimp food containing yeast ie..bacter ae shrimp fit shrimp baby are heavy yeast carriers and stimulate hydra. Your snail waste will actually produce enough infusoria and such to sustain a health shrimp population 

On 6/2/2021 at 12:24 PM, laritheloud said:

I haven't used the med, myself, but I have heard that fenbendazole 100% kills snails, and that you will be unable to house snails in that tank for at least six months to a year after treatment. 

I gave my shrimp tank a good clean today. There still a few Ramshorn snails left. So it didn't get them all, and wasn't a long term thing in my tank. The pond snails are gone though. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ken said:

I gave my shrimp tank a good clean today. There still a few Ramshorn snails left. So it didn't get them all, and wasn't a long term thing in my tank. The pond snails are gone though. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all. 

Ramshorns!!! They'd survive the apocalypse along with MTS 😂 I can't lie, though, I love my ramshorns.

• Like 1