Deep Reef journal

• 2 months later...

The weather was finally warm enough to polyurethane the boards for the stand.  For a day.  I did get it done, but now it's taking for-ev-er to get them to dry.  I was a bit baffled as to how one is supposed to get both sides done, and the edges on something so thin, without drips and generally looking messy.  I ended up doing one side and the edges, letting that get mostly dry, and then going back to get the other side and the edges again.  Here they are drying:

1202610929_Deepreefboardscoated.JPG.3d136aa1321139a6df74ba82bb38d4dd.JPG

The entire time I was doing this all I could think was the if @Patrick_G saw what I was doing he'd have to report me to the varnish police!  I am sure none of that I did would meet the high standards of a boat builder.  They barely met the standards of my 8th grade wood shop class.  Speaking of, despite fond memories of that class, I have decided I don't really enjoy wood working projects.  Or at least the smell and mess of coating stuff.  🤢

Also, I learned that acetone dissolves foam board.  And fast!

822426234_Deepreeffoamdissolve.JPG.b98139e6689350f73794d0b38dc8e40e.JPG

Oops.  🤫

Next will be plumbing! 

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 6/10/2023 at 4:13 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

What would you do with a 300 gallon tank...?

https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles/saltwater/so-you-want-to-keep-a-shark-full

It would take a bit of research as to what species are available, for me personally it would be something like this.  The tank does need to have rounded corners I believe.

I think having a really nice reef, corals, especially after watching chasing coral, would be the dream.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 2:41 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I think having a really nice reef, corals, especially after watching chasing coral, would be the dream.

I was of this mind as well, until I got a marine tank.  They are so much work!!! Don't get me wrong, I love my corals.  But the tolerances for reef species are slim.  Freshwater fish are trash fish (in the best way!) and marine systems are vastly for sensitive than I could have ever imagined!  We need to work much harder to preserve out oceans.  That's what I have learned so far.

All that said, I have decided to sell the tank (if I can).  It's too much.  I would make my hobby feel like work.  And I don't want that.  This will remain an unrealized dream.  And I'm okay with that. 

• Like 4

On 6/18/2023 at 4:58 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

All that said, I have decided to sell the tank (if I can).  It's too much.  I would make my hobby feel like work.  And I don't want that.  This will remain an unrealized dream.  And I'm okay with that. 

Agreed. There is a ton of equipment used to make that project achievable for some. It's a huge learning curve as well, like you mention.

Ultimately, I can understand exactly where that decision comes from and maybe one day you'll get there.

• Like 2

I truly feel so fortunate with my saltwater tank. I am down to cleaning the filter once every two or three weeks, feed every other day but if I go away for a month I just throw a bunch of clams and mussels in, and only water top offs (and not many at that). I think cold water makes all the difference!

Have you thought about recreating a rain forest environment in the big tank? Frogs and other fun critters can live in a lush plant environment!

In any case, I hope you enjoy whichever direction it goes. Pushing a project that is not in your heart would probable lead to failure.

You are still cool!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1