Breeding shrimp

Taco Playz

That looks like it's a Red Rilli Neocaridina shrimp. To breed, you'll need a few of them in a well-established tank with good hiding spots. Sponge filters are best. Pile large pebbles in the piles in the back corners. They tend to spawn under cover. They enjoy loads of Java Moss.

I would start with more shrimp than that if you can. I started with 12 Cherry Shrimp of unknown gender and now I have too many to count. All you need is java moss and food and they'll breed. You can put in a wonder shell after a water change as well, I've seen my population spike after adding one.

From my experience, water changes are the best way of triggering spawning. 

4 hours ago, Diving Aquarist said:

They can and will crossbreed, they are both colour variants of Neocaridina davidi, they are the same species, just a different colour.

If the tank only has shrimp in it, I would consider putting the canister filter on a different tank, if you have one, since that is overkill for shrimp. They produce very little waste, even as a big colony. Unless the sponge over the intake is a fine sponge, shrimplets will get sucked into the canister filter. The sponge is where they like to eat (food collects there), and if they can crawl in further (more cover, so safer), they will. This will impact the amount of shrimp that will make it. You likely can get a colony going with it, but it might slow it down.

As long as you provide them with enough food, hiding places and decent water quality, they will breed. It is easy to overfeed shrimp and foul the water. Catappa leaves are awesome, since they will decay slowly and provide a great source of biofilm.

It’s super fine they will definitely not get sucked in.