What makes the perfect LFS?

FrozenFins

Clean, large variety of fish, and healthy plants. Sadly the majority of fish stores in my area are known of the above. And that includes box chains. I do however have one private owned LFS and one Petco that are nice. Both are a drive but I will always make the trip for their selection and cleanliness! 

The instant no no is pricing. I have walked into stores and seen products that are 30-50% higher than online. I never buy anything from that place unless I see an ad for things on sale. They are a huge store and they tell you to go to Lowe’s next door for their bathroom. 😆. The other off putting thing to me is dirty tanks especially display tanks. It just screams lazy. 

19 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

I personally prefer at least part of the store to be dark "fish cave" feel. It's so great to walk into a space where the lighted fish tanks are what's "glowing" rather than overhead lights.

Years ago I had such a store near me.  It was the size of a smaller Petco, all aquatic, and the entire store was dark. Unfortunately they were lacking on your first point: warm, friendly and enjoy helping their customers. Add bickering between the owners, and that LFS was doomed.