Celestial Pearl Danio Problems

Over the past week or so I have lost all but one CPD. Every day one or two would die. I did the med trio on the entire tank and they kept dying all week. I continued to feed normally half the week.  This morning I fed the two that are left with my normal food, but had not been feeding recently and almost immediately the remaining adult CPD began the twitch of death and listing that was the sign I recognized all week at the sign that the fish wouldn't make it til the next day. Is it possible that my putting wet fingers in the food over a couple of months would cause it be poisonous? All other fish shrimp etc. have been fine??? I looked at the remaining food on a white plate and don't see anything obvious. I see all over the internet people loosing all their CPDs one at a time and so bummed this keeps happening to people.  Thanks All! Chris

I'm assuming CPD is 'celestial pearl danio'? 

First, I would try and keep your wet fingers from contaminating any food repository you use. I dont think this could 'poison' your food, but it will foul it up quicker. As for our CPD issue, it may not be disease related, and more water parameters related. Is your PH too high/low? is your water hardness too much or little for CPD's? 

What are your water parameters? 

What are the water parameters of the location you purchased the CPD's from? 

Edited by Solidus1833
words

Interesting that it is just the one species. Were there other fish in the tank that were bothering the CPD? If I had that situation I would try and change any filtration floss etc out and water change, test the water, and change out the food if it was a concern to me. In my experience you could potentially introduce a substance from your skin onto something you touch.  Ive usually had slow die off of one type of fish either be from issues with water parameter /conditions they were more sensitive to or stress from another fish.

Sincere appreciation for the responses! Yes Celestial Peal Danios. I'm really struggling with the parameter idea. 🤷🏻‍♂️Ammonia ->Nitrate were all zero and did weekly 30%ish water changes. PH is around 7.6 which is higher than they would like but they thrived for 3 months in this water. It is interesting that the only survivor is a baby born in the tank and today I also found what I think is a fry CPD. I don't think much in the way of parameters changed. 🤷‍♂️ I found the one at a time die off is really common with CPDs while trying research the problem but not really a solid consensus on the cause?

Hi Chris, what temperature is your water? My experience with them has been that they prefer water on the cooler side and can struggle above the low to mid 70's. I think 7.6 ph is fine but I can't say for sure. There's some thought that they actually prefer something like 7.6-7.8 rather than neutral.

I've had the same experience you just described. I believe they have a certain susceptibility to a parasite that attacks their gills and can wipe out a group quickly. They can also waste away internally from what I also believe is a parasite. That's just my thinking. It took me three or four rounds of purchasing groups to finally bring some home that survived long term. The last group I took special care to treat fully with general cure / paracleanse twice with a two week rest period in between. 

I started breeding them using that group because I couldn't stand watching them deteriorate after coming home. I've had no issues with the ones bred at home or the original group treated thoroughly for parasites.

• Like 1

I'd agree with @Lowells Fish Lab that cooler temps seem to suit them best. I keep mine without a heater. Their tank wobbles from 72F-74F and they've been breeding like rabbits. As far as pH, my group have been thriving at 8.0pH, so I'd be willing to cross that off the list. 

The fact that they died one a time certainly sounds like parasites. I had a similar experience with camallanus worms and forktail rainbowfish. I'd lose one every 2-3 weeks, generally the smaller ones first. They'd behave normally until ~12 hours before dying when they'd hover at the bottom and swim strangely. It's possible that treating them with ParaCleanse killed the parasites, but the damage from the infestation finished them off. Did they come from a local fish store? 

Thank you sir! I appreciate you sharing your experience. Its so sad so see fish just get decimated so quickly. I learned my lesson this (2nd) time@and am setting up a quarantine tank now. I do keep the tank at about 75 just to get the info in there and answer your question. Thanks again for your help

11 minutes ago, Schwack said:

I'd agree with @Lowells Fish Lab that cooler temps seem to suit them best. I keep mine without a heater. Their tank wobbles from 72F-74F and they've been breeding like rabbits. As far as pH, my group have been thriving at 8.0pH, so I'd be willing to cross that off the list. 

The fact that they died one a time certainly sounds like parasites. I had a similar experience with camallanus worms and forktail rainbowfish. I'd lose one every 2-3 weeks, generally the smaller ones first. They'd behave normally until ~12 hours before dying when they'd hover at the bottom and swim strangely. It's possible that treating them with ParaCleanse killed the parasites, but the damage from the infestation finished them off. Did they come from a local fish store? 

They came from a local breeder or importer via mail. There was no wasting away that I could see but I did add a couple of fish a few days prior without a quarantine?