10 gallon Stocking ideas

Leo2o915

Well it’s really 15 but being the fluval flex  it’s like 10 gallons of water space if it makes sense lol I was thinking of doing a pea puffers tank was thinking of doing 3 or was also thinking apistos or dwarf chain loaches will be a planted tank? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated can never get too much info 

Oh that's hard. Apistos and pea puffers are both good choices. I have a hard time casting my vote either way because I love both and both are tanks I want to have someday but I don't have right now. I guess it would depend on what you can get right now.  

I'd lean to either apistos or maybe some kind of killifish. I love killifish thanks to my lfs. The owner is a big killifish fan so they are always bringing in these gorgeous pairs. Absolutely stunning.

10 minutes ago, Alison said:

Oh that's hard. Apistos and pea puffers are both good choices. I have a hard time casting my vote either way because I love both and both are tanks I want to have someday but I don't have right now. I guess it would depend on what you can get right now.  

I'd lean to either apistos or maybe some kind of killifish. I love killifish thanks to my lfs. The owner is a big killifish fan so they are always bringing in these gorgeous pairs. Absolutely stunning.

Nice awesome thanks 

4 minutes ago, Leo2o915 said:

Nice awesome thanks 

You are welcome. I really want a pea puffer tank but they have been kinda hard to source. My lfs has only been able to get one small shipment in and they were super super tiny. They were basically large fry when they came in. The demand for them has just been astronomical, same with a lot of fish and aquatics supplies and the supply chain has been disrupted.

Dwarf chain loaches are the bomb! I love their activity level. They're very lively and mostly stick to the bottom third of the tank, so you could find a more colorful but equally energetic fish for the middle/top of the tank, like pseudomugil rainbowfish, endlers, guppies, dwarf/teacup platies, etc.

Dwarf chain loaches:

343973543_20200914_162545Dwarfchainloaches.jpg.66b583862217a60834a532a4e9d73237.jpg

Dwarf red platy (stays around 1 inch long):

11534768_20200806_2011436-week-oldMio-edited.png.69240e3d7c27f1ce970857d00b828629.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Irene said:

Dwarf chain loaches are the bomb! I love their activity level. They're very lively and mostly stick to the bottom third of the tank, so you could find a more colorful but equally energetic fish for the middle/top of the tank, like pseudomugil rainbowfish, endlers, guppies, dwarf/teacup platies, etc.

Dwarf chain loaches:

343973543_20200914_162545Dwarfchainloaches.jpg.66b583862217a60834a532a4e9d73237.jpg

Dwarf red platy (stays around 1 inch long):

11534768_20200806_2011436-week-oldMio-edited.png.69240e3d7c27f1ce970857d00b828629.png

Irene can the dwarf chain loach go with a pair of apistos or pea puffer ? 

Hmm, I've never kept them with those species, but apistos tend to hang out at the bottom as well, so that would leave the top half of your aquarium pretty empty. From what I've seen online, apistos are plenty feisty enough to be in the same tank with the energetic dwarf chain loaches.

Not sure about their compatibility with pea puffers, but my fear is that the dwarf chain loaches would outcompete the puffers for food. They are pretty fast eaters, whereas my pea puffer liked to carefully investigate her food.

Maybe @Robert has some more insight into these potential pairings.

You can keep apistos with most other fishes given enough room. But when the apistos start thinking about making a family they will begin to exclude all the other fish from their territory. A typical apisto territory is about the the size of a ten gallon tank.

So in a bigger tank sure. In a 10 gallon tank? I wouldn't do it.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Irene said:

Hmm, I've never kept them with those species, but apistos tend to hang out at the bottom as well, so that would leave the top half of your aquarium pretty empty. From what I've seen online, apistos are plenty feisty enough to be in the same tank with the energetic dwarf chain loaches.

Not sure about their compatibility with pea puffers, but my fear is that the dwarf chain loaches would outcompete the puffers for food. They are pretty fast eaters, whereas my pea puffer liked to carefully investigate her food.

Maybe @Robert has some more insight into these potential pairings.

Awesome thank you Hopefully can decide soon lol

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You can keep apistos with most other fishes given enough room. But when the apistos start thinking about making a family they will begin to exclude all the other fish from their territory. A typical apisto territory is about the the size of a ten gallon tank.

So in a bigger tank sure. In a 10 gallon tank? I wouldn't do it.

Awesome thank you