Easy planter

I have 3 easy planters in my aquarium for about a month now with cripts in them. I put root tabs in the little pot like Cory showed in one of his videos, and I have a sand substrate. Every time I do a water change there is a pocket of air that builds up under the planters. Even had it build up enough once to flip one of the plants over, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it happen. The pocket of air smalls bad too. Should I drill a small hole so that won't build up?

sounds like you're getting gas bubbles building up in the substrate and they happen to come up under the easy planter. Could be because there isn't water flow over the substrate in the area where the planter is located. If it was me, I would drill a small hole or tow in an area that isn't too noticeable and then even put it toward the back.

• Like 1

Nope, usually do about 50-70 percent water changes. My blood parrots do dig and throw sand around the planters a lot, though. I was thinking it might have to do with ammonia pockets that can build up in sand.

2 hours ago, Cory said:

Are you doing 100% water changes? I'm not sure how air is getting under them?

3 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

sounds like you're getting gas bubbles building up in the substrate and they happen to come up under the easy planter. Could be because there isn't water flow over the substrate in the area where the planter is located. If it was me, I would drill a small hole or tow in an area that isn't too noticeable and then even put it toward the back.

The gas build up is what I was thinking the sand under them is a grayish/black also when I lift them up to get the air pocket up. I do move and mix the sand and the color goes away really quickly. 

• 3 months later...

I ended drilling holes and i am still getting air pockets but with the holes it releases as needed. This is a pic from under my tank, the 2 bigger circles are the easy planters and the smaller one is a decoration. from the top you can not see any discolored sand and if i move anything with this black sand I can stir it up and the discoloration goes away pretty fast. The parts that look like cracks are roots. I am not really sure what is going on but my fish and plants are doing great.

KIMG0597.JPG