6 hours ago, ccurtis said:

Got water wisteria growing in my tanks. One of my tanks has what I think is a form of algae on the leaves. It’s very dark almost black in color. It’s not BBA, it isn’t fury if that makes since. 

Is it an algae, or something else? 

9505F34F-83B9-4F90-98D4-D9D649D81D01.jpeg

B28EA943-C086-46C7-A7B0-C1A55EF05D33.jpeg

There might be _some_ beginnings of BBA. I think its a combination of nutrient deficiency and early onset algae.

23 hours ago, ccurtis said:

Got water wisteria growing in my tanks. One of my tanks has what I think is a form of algae on the leaves. It’s very dark almost black in color. It’s not BBA, it isn’t fury if that makes since. 

Is it an algae, or something else? 

9505F34F-83B9-4F90-98D4-D9D649D81D01.jpeg

B28EA943-C086-46C7-A7B0-C1A55EF05D33.jpeg

Hi @ccurtis,

I agree, it does not look like black brush algae (BBA).  It does look like the beginning of a blue-green algae (BGA) outbreak.  If it wipes off fairly easily from the leaf edges and has a pungent (somewhat obnoxious) smell it is likely BGA. -Roy

25 minutes ago, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @ccurtis,

I agree, it does not look like black brush algae (BBA).  It does look like the beginning of a blue-green algae (BGA) outbreak.  If it wipes off fairly easily from the leaf edges and has a pungent (somewhat obnoxious) smell it is likely BGA. -Roy

Hi Roy, 

I do not think it is BGA either. This does not wipe off easily at all. No smell either. I have to scrape it with my fingernail and even then it is difficult to remove. 

I decided to trim the stems that had it on it. I all of it out of the tank today that I could see. It was on water wisteria so it will grow back within a couple weeks at most. I am curious to see if it comes back. 

Any other thoughts on what it is? 

5 minutes ago, ccurtis said:

@Mmiller2001 This stuff isn't behaving like BBA. It's not fuzzy or getting bigger. Just staying like you see in the picture. I have BBA in others tanks. This does not seem to be the same. 

I'm looking at the dark stuff, building up on the edges of the plants. Is that what you are referring to?