Need advice about replacing HOB Cartridge!

Kenneth

Sorry! I accidentally pressed enter when I was trying to make a post! It's been a while since I am able to make a post because there was a problem where I can't make a new topic and keeps telling me to type the title which I have repeated for 5 times.

Anyway,

I am was doing research about replacing old cartridge to a new one and they said it will remove any old bb and it'll cause "New Tank Syndrome" again. Is there a way to replace it without losing? I'm using HOB Filter at the moment.

Throw the cartridge in the garbage, it's a scam to keep getting your money and creates a lot of unnecessary plastic trash. 

Hot rod it yourself, pick up some coarse sponge and filter floss. When its time to clean it, just replace the filter floss and rinse the sponge out in tank water. I like to clean them during a water change so I have plenty to rinse out the sponge. 

Depending on how much room is available in your HOB, you can add chemical filtration like charcoal or purigen (I don't) or just extra bio media like ceramic rings or bio balls.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

I'm with Mr. Ed!  In my HOB is a sponge, a chunk of floss, and a bag of bio balls, When it comes time to swap things out, the filter floss gets swapped, the sponge and balls both get rinsed in the changed out water.

That's exactly what I have and how I do it too. Works great and is so much cheaper than buying those cartridges. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

Throw the cartridge in the garbage, it's a scam to keep getting your money and creates a lot of unnecessary plastic trash. 

Hot rod it yourself, pick up some coarse sponge and filter floss. When its time to clean it, just replace the filter floss and rinse the sponge out in tank water. I like to clean them during a water change so I have plenty to rinse out the sponge. 

Depending on how much room is available in your HOB, you can add chemical filtration like charcoal or purigen (I don't) or just extra bio media like ceramic rings or bio balls.

I agree, I had some thoughts actually for changing it. Do you mind providing me a picture of your filter? Just for reference.

I'm currently using Marineland Biowheel Power Filter 100 for my 10 Gallon Tank. Not sure if it will fit.

1 hour ago, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

Also, since you're the OP, you can edit your post title and content to include your reply. 

Unless you like the D ... to each his own 

I just realised that! Ha! thanks!

1 minute ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

The best things about sponges and floss, they can be squished and trimmed!  THEY ALWAYS FIT!  I have an Aquaclear 50 at the moment, so it won't be exactly the same, but when I get home from work I'll try to get you some pics of mine.

Ahhhhh true! If I want to add carbon inside should I put it in a bag that have tiny holes on it or I can just pour the carbon inside of the filter?

Also, Thanks! I’ll be waiting for your picture 🤪

Just now, ADMWNDSR83 said:

I'll leave that question for someone who uses carbon.  I've watched too many YouTube videos of Cory to use carbon. 🤣

Wait, Cory Catfish? Or cory aquarium coop owner 🤣🤣 What’s wrong with carbon? Now, you have my attention. I have 2 pygmy cory inside of my tank.

Nothing's wrong in an unplanted tank.  If I remember correctly, the carbon can be detrimental to planted tanks, such as negating the effectiveness of fertilizers.  I know Cory (Co-op, not catfish), talks frequently about not using carbon in his tanks.  He did a great video on optimizing HOB filters, let me see if I can find it for you!

I had to remember which tank had that kind of HOB, but I found it for you. Here's the sponge and floss.

20200912_195551.jpg.02760c5c0881f17cc83a699dc37e0867.jpg

Here's how it goes in the filter. 

20200912_195703.jpg.c1eccab9cb661b8c3132628226814362.jpg

And here's how it looks done. For the filter you're using (this kind) you can either put a carbon bag in the bottom (I have bio rings that I didn't want to disturb) below the sponge or just on top once you push the sponge and floss to the bottom.

20200912_195746.jpg.bd949ef67f7725c8986d3a594548e080.jpg

Those are the Aquaclear 70 sponges (takes 2). Hope that is more helpful with pictures. 

• Thanks 1

In the first picture you can see from above, and in the second I pulled the inner housing out.  I have the sponge on the bottom, with a circle of floss (technically Fluval QuickClear pads), wrapped around the bio ball bag like a beneficial bacteria taco.  Hope this helps.  All I ask is that you not judge me at how brown the tannins have turned my filter media!

KIMG1094.JPG

KIMG1095.JPG

26 minutes ago, Kenneth said:

I’m not judging at all! I actually wanted my wood to release some tannins but I haven’t seen once ☹️ May I ask what is the gray thing that you are holding? Does it come with the filter or you bought it somewhere.

The gray thing is the tray that holds the media in aquaclear filters.  Its included with the aquaclear when you buy it.  Makes it much easier to pull out whatever media you're using for cleaning/replacing.

1 minute ago, jerseychef said:

The gray thing is the tray that holds the media in aquaclear filters.  Its included with the aquaclear when you buy it.  Makes it much easier to pull out whatever media you're using for cleaning/replacing.

Ah alright, that tray is very convenient.. anyway, thanks for the help guys!