Do Aquarium Coop test strips read chloramines?

I understand the Aquarium Coop test strips read chlorine levels. I've searched the forum and can not readily discern an answer to my question.  My municipal water supplier uses chloramines as a water disinfectant. Would the Coop test strips give a reading based on the chlorine elements in the chloramines?

Thanks

• Like 1

• Administrators

I can't confirm this as I don't have chloramine. Can't find a test solution to test against on Amazon either. Hopefully someone who has chloramine in their water can test their tap and let us know.

I have high chloramine in my water and I know that the tetra strips test for it, I have been waiting to order some aquarium coop strips until my tetra strips run out but if nobody comments on here before then I'll come back and update you. I wouldnt see why it wouldn't though because chloramine is chlorine bound to ammonia. 

Not Chloramine specifically, but test strips/kits pick up both Chlorine and Chloramine. (Unless they are designed to determine the difference) I have test strips for pools that I use on my ponds that once I remove chlorine through a filter. I can test for Chloramine using the those strips. I wouldn't use them in my aquariums or directly in my ponds as they are not necessarily fish safe but I'm setting up my ponds this week and would be happy to double check in a bucket. In general though, test kits detect chorine molecules...bound or not. 

• 2 years later...