Angelfish care

Bettafishlover

I have one quarter size angel in a 29.  He's alone because he is the only one I could find locally.  Its very shy hiding behind the plants, but did come out to eat today.  What is a good way to handle getting another angel (assuming I can find another). Should I get 1 or 2 more.  I plan on getting them into a 55 eventually.  The 29 has a few plants and a clown pleco right now.  Any advice?

If it was my setup I would either keep the angelfish solo as a centerpiece in the 29g or 55g with a school of tetras or maybe some platies or mollies (I'm a sucker for livebearers). If you want more angelfish I would keep 5-6 total in the 55g, I think you would do better with more to help disperse the aggression.

44 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

If it was my setup I would either keep the angelfish solo as a centerpiece in the 29g or 55g with a school of tetras or maybe some platies or mollies (I'm a sucker for livebearers). If you want more angelfish I would keep 5-6 total in the 55g, I think you would do better with more to help disperse the aggression.

But right now, is it best to get more small ones in my 29 before i get the 55?

I wouldnt do 5 or 6 juvinilles in a 29 gallon. Probably at most 2 Juvinilles in a 29 gallon, give it a year maybe less and you wil be looking at a upgrade. If you do the 5 or 6 Juviniles chances are theres going to be 2 angels that will pair off and want to breed. once they have paired off, they will most likely kill every other angel in the tank.

Your angel is shy because its a new addition, soon he'll come out more and become more personable with you. Just give it time.

All I have to offer: 

2 is often a bad number for aggressive fish, just because 1 may bully the other. Either 1, or 3+ would be better than 2.

It's generally better to have the planned tank *before* the fish that will need it. That's just to avoid an oh-no situation in which you have fish that need a bigger tank, but aren't able to get it fast enough.

If you just keep the 1, look into the idea of "dither fish" to help him feel safer so he swims around more. This idea might be the easiest solution for making your angel happier.

• Like 1