Setting up a new tank, would appreciate some second opinions on my plan!

Guppies4All

alright, so i recently got myself a 115 gallon tank and im about to set it up, my basic plan for the tank is to have it on 6 bricks on top of a thin compact carpet in my basement. i just wanted to see if anyone else has used bricks as a stand for a large heavy tank, and if my idea of 4 bricks per corner, along with two on each side of the centre will work to make up for however much weight will be in the centre

I'd look for something to prop it up off the floor a bit more. If it's literally just a sheet of wood sitting on the floor, that's going to make water changes hard, and I'd also worry about issues caused by spilled water that you're not able to clean up and have no air flow to help dry up.

While i don't have a 115 I made the stand for my 75g.  I used 6 cinderblocks that I painted black.  I stacked them on top of one another.  My original plan was to use 2x10's directly on top of the cinderblocks but I did not like how they were not secure.  On the bottom side of the 2x10's I used 2x6's that screwed into the bottom to hold it all together.  If I were to do it again I would've used 2 more cinderblocks so the tank was a little taller.  

Is the tank glass framed, glass unframed, or acrylic? If it's glass framed, there's a pretty standard 2X4 / 2X6 stand you can build on the cheap.  Here's a link to a video that shows you how to make it. 

Now if its either frameless or acrylic, it's super important that the weight is evenly distributed on a true and level surface. Buy a nice stand with a flat top. Not worth risking it breaking, that's a lot of water to clean up. 

• Like 1