Well Water Source and Oxygen

bigpuma

I have good well water here in Texas that is not too hard. I'm planning on implementing a water drip/change system that will use this well water. The issue I'm unsure about is the lack of Oxygen when it comes out of the ground. Should I stage/store the water prior to using in tanks? My tanks have 2 sponge filters and HOB to create surface tension; so is that enough to address the Oxygen in my well water?

7 hours ago, bigpuma said:

I have good well water here in Texas that is not too hard. I'm planning on implementing a water drip/change system that will use this well water. The issue I'm unsure about is the lack of Oxygen when it comes out of the ground. Should I stage/store the water prior to using in tanks? My tanks have 2 sponge filters and HOB to create surface tension; so is that enough to address the Oxygen in my well water?

I do drip changes from well water. I have no problems at all with the water changes, but I do make sure to drip in slowly and intermittently during the course of the day because my well water mid-winter is ice cold, and,  all year long, has around a 5 Ph straight out of the ground.

As an an example of my water change rate, I'll change 1  - 2 gallons in a 20 tall over the course of an hour, have the system stop, then change the same amount a few hours later, in an on going fashion. This generally comes out to 10% - 20% water change over 24 hours depending on tank size. (In a 150 gallon system, I just drip 1/2 gallon per hour all day long). 

I have both air stones and crushed coral in all my tanks.

I have been doing this for over a year with no adverse effects (yet!).

However, I do also stage water in a 40 gallon brute trash can, aerate it and heat it for a day so I have water on hand if I suddenly need to do a 50%+ water change, which for some of my grow out tanks I do need to perform.  I find having that staged water on hand to be very beneficial because you can't swap out a large volume of water, if you need to, (at least in my scenario) with a drip system.

All in all, I would do a quick water param test on your well water moments after it comes out of the ground, as well as after being aerated for a day. This way you know what it looks like the moment it drips into your tank as well as what its values are when aged and stabilized a day. For me, the Ph swings from around 5 to 7 over the course of 24 hours, due to very low Kh. Your situation might be different, but you'll know after doing some simple, quick tests.

Edited by tolstoy21