On 4/22/2021 at 6:03 PM, ererer said:

There are several varieties of hardy dwarf waterlilies available that work well in small tubs in zone 6 and like full sun. According to Dr. Ted Coletti's Tub Pond Handbook,

I got this book and can't recommend it enough. It's an easy to follow step-by-step manual from the expert in the hobby. I've followed his advice on setting up 2 tubs this summer-a 40 and a110 gallon. So far I've got some Yellow Iris and water hyacinth and Creeping Jenny growing. I threw in some java moss and some dwarf water lettuce from my tanks and things are looking good.

Anyone have advice on where to buy water lilies online? There's a local garden store that said they may have some after Mother's Day but who know what varieties they'll get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WillMcK said:

I got this book and can't recommend it enough. It's an easy to follow step-by-step manual from the expert in the hobby. I've followed his advice on setting up 2 tubs this summer-a 40 and a110 gallon. So far I've got some Yellow Iris and water hyacinth and Creeping Jenny growing. I threw in some java moss and some dwarf water lettuce from my tanks and things are looking good.

Anyone have advice on where to buy water lilies online? There's a local garden store that said they may have some after Mother's Day but who know what varieties they'll get.

I ordered my water lily from pond plants online, they had a good selection of plants and good prices. I ordered eight or nine plants which made shipping worth it, which was about $23. There's also Tricker, that had slightly better prices and a good water lily selection but not all the plants I wanted. Shipping is about the same.

Edited by ererer

14 minutes ago, ererer said:

I ordered my water lily from pond plants online, they had a good selection of plants and good prices. I ordered eight or nine plants which made shipping worth it, which was about $23. There's also Tricker, that had slightly better prices and a good water lily selection but not all the plants I wanted. Shipping is about the same.

Great, thanks for the advice, I'll check them out. 

I think it's been mentioned in this thread already, but water hyacinth is a great option as a floating filter plant. Just check to be sure it's legal in your state and not considered invasive.