How much kosher salt?

tolstoy21

Are the amounts of kosher salt used to treat sick aquarium fish roughly equivalent to what's recommended for 'aquarium salt'?

I know that in cooking, kosher salt and table salt substitution ratios are not a 1-to-1 . 

So I'm wondering the same about using kosher salt in aquarium disease treatment? 

Anyone have some good info on this topic?

Edited by tolstoy21

10 minutes ago, tolstoy21 said:

Are the amounts of kosher salt used to treat sick aquarium fish roughly equivalent to what's recommended for 'aquarium salt'?

I know that in cooking, kosher salt and table salt substitution ratios are not a 1-to-1 . 

So I'm wondering the same about using kosher salt in aquarium disease treatment? 

Anyone have some good info on this topic?

Just a hint of info . . . nothing complete . . . I think that Rock Salt and Kosher Salt are more or less pure sodium chloride.

Here's an interesting article comparing various salts for aquarium usage. Nothing terribly technical. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for: https://www.tankarium.com/aquarium-salt-vs-epsom-salt-vs-sea-salt-vs-table-salt/

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fish Folk said:

Just a hint of info . . . nothing complete . . . I think that Rock Salt and Kosher Salt are more or less pure sodium chloride.

Thanks!

I guess my worry was that a tablespoon of one might pack more or less densely than the other,  skewing the amount of salt I'm actually dosing.  

In any event, thats for the link.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

I don't use that salt, but the same salt i use for my water softener i also use to hatch brine. It has no additives and is just pure salt.