Is the magfloat scraper needed for hair algae?

CT_

I've heard good things about the magfloat and the scraper addon.  I'm wondering what the users of  magfloat have to say about its effectiveness against green air algae with and w/o the scraper. 

Edit: oh, and if people have cheaper alternatives they like, because I'm cheap.

Edited by CT_
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CT_ said:

I've heard good things about the magfloat and the scraper addon.  I'm wondering what the users of  magfloat have to say about its effectiveness against green air algae with and w/o the scraper. 

Edit: oh, and if people have cheaper alternatives they like, because I'm cheap.

It works fine. It will remove algae from the glass surface. Honestly though . . . we just use an old credit card. It does wonders if you don't mind getting your hands wet in the tank. 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

It works fine. It will remove algae from the glass surface. Honestly though . . . we just use an old credit card. It does wonders if you don't mind getting your hands wet in the tank. 

do you use the scraper attachment?  Do you think its necessary?

I use a magic eraser right now, but the way I have things setup its kind of a pain to get my lid off and get in there and I always seem to miss a spot. 

I like to spend 15min or so in the evening with my nose to the glass just watching whats going on and I always notice a dirty spot then and I don't want to rile everyone up putting my hand in there either.

I have a razor blade on a long handle. it is mostly awesome, except where you have a lot of hardscape right against the glass, and really that is my own fault anyway, and will always be a pain. It isn't available from the original seller, but I see others on amazon for about $15

pic.png.415aa5abb7631444110742f564a23258.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CT_ said:

do you use the scraper attachment?  Do you think its necessary?

I use a magic eraser right now, but the way I have things setup its kind of a pain to get my lid off and get in there and I always seem to miss a spot. 

I like to spend 15min or so in the evening with my nose to the glass just watching whats going on and I always notice a dirty spot then and I don't want to rile everyone up putting my hand in there either.

We used to use a mag float with scraper attachment. As Brandy said, if hardscape is too close, it is a bother. What we found was that metal needed to be handled carefully, or glass would eventually get scraped. And the plastic Credit Card really gets the job done. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

We used to use a mag float with scraper attachment. As Brandy said, if hardscape is too close, it is a bother. What we found was that metal needed to be handled carefully, or glass would eventually get scraped. And the plastic Credit Card really gets the job done. 

Well this gives me an idea.  I'll update if its not a disaster.

It works!  I knew my Oregon off road safety card was good for something!  Some spots took a bit of scrubbing but it still took care of it.  The stick part is a cheap stainless drinking straw.

image.png.3b41bbf5946791a1a6f683a581b2f3c9.png