Honey Gouramis Breeding Courtship or do I need to separate them?

Andrew Puhr

I have 2 Honey Gouramis in a 5 gallon fluval Spec V to attempt breeding them. I did have 3 (2 females, 1 male) but one of the females passed away. The male seems to chase the female a lot I am not sure if I should just separate them or if this is normal. I know a 5 gallon isn't a permanent space for 2 honey gouramis I just don't want the male to stress the female to death if it can be avoided. A bubble nest has already been made. 

Edited by Andrew Puhr
added additional detalis.

Beautiful gouramis! Were the pair getting along before, and now the male is chasing the female? Are there any eggs in the bubble nest? When I bred my honey gouramis, they stayed close together during the courtship, but once the female was done laying eggs, the male started chasing the female away from his bubble nest to protect them. At that point, I removed the female and then let the male guard the eggs. Once the fry were free swimming, then I removed the male as well and just raised the babies by themselves. Here's a video of what I did; hope it helps!

• Like 1

This is there 3rd week together in the tank. I didn't witness any courting. I left on Friday and all 3 were getting along well. I came in on Tuesday and the male had made a bubble nest and was chasing both females away. One female did pass away but i am not sure if its related. 

I am not sure if there are eggs they look just like bubbles to me and I have seen him add more recently so he may still be prepping.