Heating an outdoor pond

Mychala

My dog ate my goldfish out of my outdoor pond🤦‍♀️. I knew there would possibly be predators but I never thought it would be my own dog. Its 55 gallons and I had 2 goldfish in it. She only got one before we caught her. But now I'm debating on leaving him out over the winter and dropping in a stock tank heater to keep the water from freezing. I've seen pond videos that talk about heating but never hear much about dropping in a stock tank heater....I know it won't keep them toasty but in Missouri we can expect 0 or below at times and it will keep it above freezing. Will this work or should I just bring the poor remaining guy inside?

I live in Montana. We can get -30 to -40. I only used a stock tank heater to keep an open area in the ice, to keep gases from building up under the ice. My koi and goldfish lived for many years and overwintered for years. Definitely doable with a stock tank heater. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brian K said:

I personally haven't tried it, but Lucas from LRBaquatics has 300 watt heaters in his mini ponds outside and 3x 300 watt heaters in his 100+gallon guppy pond. From the videos I've seen when he checks it the temps around 60-70F and that's in Indianapolis. 

He also has his ponds in an enclosure type thing so they have insulative properties around the outside and puts polycarbonate sheets over the top to help hold in the heat. IMO the polycarbonate sheets probably help the most with the sun beating down on, the area between the plastic sheet and water surface is like a greenhouse.

I am not sure if the OP has their pond in ground or just sitting above, but if its not in ground, I would find some way to insulate around the sides to help with heat retention.

I live in Utah so cold winters as well. My goldfish can usually stay out year round. With my fancy goldfish I use a 300 watt heater, and if necessary a few layers of clear plastic, during the winter. My tubs are 110 gallons and get a lot of sun so that largeish amount of water does help keep the water temperature fairly even with the extra help from the heater. 

I have my fancies in a hundred gallon stock tank in southern Missouri. I run a 300 watt heater if it is going to be in the mid-thirties or colder, just to keep a section open at the top. Otherwise, I don’t do anything for heat or insulation. This will be their fifth or sixth winter and they’ve always done well.

• Like 1