Moving fish from 5 gallons to a new 10 gallon

Rosie

I have a Male Betta and to Cory’s in one 5 gallon tank, and I have some CPD’s in another 5 gallon tank. I want to combine them in a new 10 gallon tank. The water parameters are very much the same. I’m assuming that I can combine the waters from each aquarium into the 10 gallon, and use both sponge filters, plants and gravel in the new tank too. Then add fish. Will this work? I’d appreciate any thoughts! 

Thank you,
Rosie

54 minutes ago, Rosie said:

I have a Male Betta and to Cory’s in one 5 gallon tank, and I have some CPD’s in another 5 gallon tank. I want to combine them in a new 10 gallon tank. The water parameters are very much the same. I’m assuming that I can combine the waters from each aquarium into the 10 gallon, and use both sponge filters, plants and gravel in the new tank too. Then add fish. Will this work? I’d appreciate any thoughts! 

Thank you,
Rosie

Yes this would probably work. You might only want to just fill up the 10 gallon with new water (maybe 2/3 of the way full) and then add the old water from the other tanks in to top it off. This would just make the moving process easier in my opinion, and it wouldn't have any harm on the fish. What other fish do you plan on getting?

Thank you!

No I do have some Corydoras. And I would like to get a couple or three more of them. I’d Love a Hillstream Loach, and If the CPDs and the Betta work well I’d like to get a couple of Female CPDs. The ones I had died. And I really want some Shrimp! I may start with the shrimp in one of the 5 gallons before putting them in the “Big Tank.” I’m very excited!!

Thanks again CorydorasEthan! I appreciate your responding so quickly!

Rosie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rosie said:

Thank you!

No I do have some Corydoras. And I would like to get a couple or three more of them. I’d Love a Hillstream Loach, and If the CPDs and the Betta work well I’d like to get a couple of Female CPDs. The ones I had died. And I really want some Shrimp! I may start with the shrimp in one of the 5 gallons before putting them in the “Big Tank.” I’m very excited!!

Thanks again CorydorasEthan! I appreciate your responding so quickly!

Rosie

Great choice of fishes. I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Nice! I'd see how the cories and cpds work before adding a loach. I think you'll be close to full with those.

For shrimp, you might want to test it with a few ghost shrimp first, which are very inexpensive. Between the betta and the pygmy cories, mine didn't last long! But you might have better luck!

Thank you Kirsten!

Yes, I’ll get the CPDs, the Cories and the Betta settled in and then see what it feels like. Because I’ll have two 5 gallon tanks available, I’m going to make one of those a shrimp tank and the other one will be available for quarantining. That’s the plan!

Thanks again Kirsten,

Rosie