Two filter in Tank, will it be a issue?

Prahi

I don't think there is much con here because honestly a sponge filter is more than enough if you don't overstock the tank. There is a point of diminishing returns which scale shifts with the size tank. A 10 gallon tank  shouldn't require more than a sponge filter. Is the Fluval 20 you are referencing the HOB (hang on back)? because if so, I would honestly skip the sponge filter and just run that to save space in such a small aquarium.  (ive never heard of a Fluval 20 filter tbh). An Aquaclear 20 yes. Also you wouldn't need an air-stone if you are running a sponge filter, it technically does the exact thing the air-stone does (move water and oxygenate). 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Solidus1833 said:

I don't think there is much con here because honestly a sponge filter is more than enough if you don't overstock the tank. There is a point of diminishing returns which scale shifts with the size tank. A 10 gallon tank  shouldn't require more than a sponge filter. Is the Fluval 20 you are referencing the HOB (hang on back)? because if so, I would honestly skip the sponge filter and just run that to save space in such a small aquarium.  (ive never heard of a Fluval 20 filter tbh). An Aquaclear 20 yes. Also you wouldn't need an air-stone if you are running a sponge filter, it technically does the exact thing the air-stone does (move water and oxygenate). 

Yes, the fluval 20 is a HOB. I actually bought it from petco when I bought the tank,  but I met a guy who is following Cory from a year and learned a lot from his videos. So he told me to have this for the bacteria to grow until the intial cycle and just continue having it on the other side of the fluval filter. So that's what I am doing, but had a doubt and posted on the forum. 

You only need one sponge filter in a 10 gal tank with normal stocking levels.  There are a couple of benefits to having both the sponge and the HOB in the same tank as long as there is not too much water flow since you already have both.

- HOB can polish water using filter floss - recommend using 100% polyester quilt batting with no mold inhibitors (hotrod/optimize your HOB so that you are not using disposable media - Aquarium Filter Tips and Tricks! Start Saving Money Now! - Bing video)

- The sponge filter does have to prime after a power outage (most HOBs are not self-priming)

- The air in the sponge filter is more effective at breaking up the water surface than the HOB

- You have a pre-seeded sponge if you need to start another tank for any reason (like a QT/Hospital tank)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Prahi said:

So I have a 10 gallon tank, which has the fluval 20 and a sponge filter with the air stone in it. Are there any con's of having 2 filter like this? or is it okay?

Your tank will be fine. 

• Thanks 1

You can have as many filters you wish to have in a tank. There is no limit other than space. As to what is optimal depends on a lot o factor. In my case having an extra sponge filter in a tank allows for easy cycling of new tanks because they are so easy to remove 😉