Sexing paradise fish

keddre

Does anyone know how old/big paradise fish have to get before they are sexable? My LFS has some 2” juvies and I don’t know if they are too small to start developing the long fins or if they are all truly females. 

here’s one in a 20L just so that you can see the sale size 

image.jpg

It is like when my family would ride to downtown Atlanta back in the late 60s. My dad would see a hippie with long hair and growl 'looks like a girl to me'. I would always think to myself 'no dad, that looks like a boy to me'.

So I am guess I am saying it is a gestalt thing. Having bred a few paradise fish over the years the feeling I get is 'male'.

If I were at a fish store trying to pick out a pair, I would get the biggest most colorful one as my male, and the one that least looked like him as my female. Or if I really wanted to hedge my bets I would buy 1/2 dozen of them.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

It is like when my family would ride to downtown Atlanta back in the late 60s. My dad would see a hippie with long hair and growl 'looks like a girl to me'. I would always think to myself 'no dad, that looks like a boy to me'.

So I am guess I am saying it is a gestalt thing. Having bred a few paradise fish over the years the feeling I get is 'male'.

If I were at a fish store trying to pick out a pair, I would get the biggest most colorful one as my male, and the one that least looked like him as my female. Or if I really wanted to hedge my bets I would buy 1/2 dozen of them.

Gotcha, thanks for the input. These guys are my new breeding project, but I need to grow them out and learn them first