Question on Swordtail Highfin

Shenandoah Aquatics

Hat tip to "Dan's Fish" YouTube Channel for info on these. 

Based on the chart below, the genetics looks like this:

Hh + hh = 50 / 50 Highfin and lowfin. 

Hh + Hh = 50 Highfin / 25 lowfin / 25 die-off (the HH genetic trait is unstable, and the fish will die)

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 10.11.29 PM.png

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
On 3/23/2021 at 7:16 PM, Fish Folk said:

Hat tip to "Dan's Fish" YouTube Channel for info on these. 

Based on the chart below, the genetics looks like this:

Hh + hh = 50 / 50 Highfin and lowfin. 

Hh + Hh = 50 Highfin / 25 lowfin / 25 die-off (the HH genetic trait is unstable, and the fish will die)

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 10.11.29 PM.png

Very interesting, and looks similar to hifin platies with HH being non-viable.

I have a question about lyretail swordtails for you, if I may. I have five lyretail "ladies" and no male yet. Is their lyretail-induced hifin is genetically similar to just the hifin? What would happen offspring-wise if they are bred with a regular bright-red (non-red-eye, non-hifin) male (the ladies are red eye, which I personally dislike). And what would happen if they are to be bred with a hifin red-eye (non-lyretail, since those are functionally sterile) male? 

Is breeding red eye + red eye runs chances of blindness or very poor eye sight in offspring?

Thanks so much in advance! 

3-8-2024, picture 1.jpg

3-8-2024, picture 2.jpg

swordtails.png

On 3/23/2021 at 7:04 PM, Shenandoah Aquatics said:

I am breeding Cauliflower Swordtails and some of the offspring are short fin. Will they carry the long-fin gene and potentially carry it on in future breeding? 

image.png

Are you in the US? Once your juveniles start showing sex characteristics, is there a chance to get 1-2 hifin males from you? I am in Arizona.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 12:57 PM, Firestorm_1976 said:

Very interesting, and looks similar to hifin platies with HH being non-viable.

I have a question about lyretail swordtails for you, if I may. I have five lyretail "ladies" and no male yet. Is their lyretail-induced hifin is genetically similar to just the hifin? What would happen offspring-wise if they are bred with a regular bright-red (non-red-eye, non-hifin) male (the ladies are red eye, which I personally dislike). And what would happen if they are to be bred with a hifin red-eye (non-lyretail, since those are functionally sterile) male? 

Is breeding red eye + red eye runs chances of blindness or very poor eye sight in offspring?

Thanks so much in advance! 

3-8-2024, picture 1.jpg

3-8-2024, picture 2.jpg

swordtails.png

Are you in the US? Once your juveniles start showing sex characteristics, is there a chance to get 1-2 hifin males from you? I am in Arizona.

Genetics on multiple traits is very tricky to track. My approach is to separate desirables from undesirables, and breed until you lock in what you want. But it takes excellent breeding techniques, a bunch of tanks, a willingness to cull, and patience. Lots of patience.

I'm not patient enough to be a serious breeder 😅

• Like 1

Thank you, Fish Folk! I only have one display tank (+ QT tank when I get new fish), so definitely not a breeder. But I wish to maintain a line of healthy next generation of swords, born and raised in my tank. With platies, the way I "cull" the "undesirables" is simply by rehoming them through a local hobbyist group :). That's why I am hesitant to get a red-eyed male, d/t concerns with impaired eye sight if bred albino to albino as the babies will not be for sale but for me to keep (at least those that I want, and I do not have a separate fry tank, so few make it to adulthood with many hungry mouthes swimming around 🙂