I've experienced a few when I lived in Mississippi and in Northern Texas for a while. I say let them hype and people take it seriously and take precautions and nothing happens to them, better than to be in one. We had a house on stilts in Mississippi and it actually lifted up by a few feet for a few seconds, never will forget that feeling, and never will own another house on stilts, solid foundation only, and wherever there are tornadoes it would have to have a basement. The noise alone could send chills up my spine.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

I've experienced a few when I lived in Mississippi and in Northern Texas for a while. I say let them hype and people take it seriously and take precautions and nothing happens to them, better than to be in one. We had a house on stilts in Mississippi and it actually lifted up by a few feet for a few seconds, never will forget that feeling, and never will own another house on stilts, solid foundation only, and wherever there are tornadoes it would have to have a basement. The noise alone could send chills up my spine.

I grew up in CT, where tornadoes are practically unheard of, so getting used to the weather here in AL has been an experience. Only within the past couple years do I not jump when the monthly siren test goes off, lol. A few years after we moved here, there was a really bad tornado outbreak (2011), that left our town without power for a week and caused very frightening destruction all over the state. We were living in a rental then, with no basement, and I had to hunker down in the bathroom with our dogs. It was enough to make me never take severe weather warnings lightly. I'm glad the house we're in now has a basement, but that's pretty rare here.

• Like 1

ORD otherwise I would have clicked like. I remember driving from Starkville, MS to Tuscaloosa, AL for a football game and seeing two funnel clouds along the way and the accompanying thunder and lightning, and hail were something else.

In Texas in Wichita Falls I saw a whole street where the Ranch type houses had disappeared, concrete pads with pipe stubs sticking out of them was all that was left, not even debris, all gone.

If I still lived in Tornado Alley no one would have to warn me twice about one of those storms. I;'m glad you have a basement, make sure you keep listening to the weather warnings. I'll be praying for you and your family.

• Like 2

I'm a truck driver and when I still drove over the road I'd encounter the most violent storms in the south, the wind was incredible in places like Oklahoma and Texas, growing up in Ohio I had no idea how powerful a thunderstorm could be. Stay safe everyone and take these storms seriously. 

• Like 1