Cleaning GDA Tips Wanted

Hey all.  So I've got some green dust algae happening.  Started to really pick up when my Java fern started multiplying like crazy.  It was also the time we switched snails (Gary 1 died and Gary 2 came in), so who knows.  Ive gone with the wait it out 3 to 4 weeks then clean.  Im just about at that time, so some questions after doing a little research:

1) I know I want to go down to a low amount of water, but will going too low start me going through cycling the tank all over?  Is this just a given due to the situation?

2) What to do about the gravel.  Do I remove that top layer thats covered and rinse really well?

3) How Do I go about cleaning off the leaves of the java ferns?

4) Q-Tips will work well for the vents in the heater and filter right?

I plan on adding more plants and some floating plants, I think the floaters will help with the high amount of light (another possible cause).  Also, we need to replace the snail again*see below.  Should I do all these right after cleaning?  Or wait a bit?

Ok, snail Question.  We are now on our 2nd snail since thanksgivng.  First snail, I have no idea, he was super active my numbers were good (PH varies), but I may have overdosed the easy green.  This second snail was aciddentaly dropped from not very high and his shell just shattered,and he didnt move after.  Both snails were from the same place and I wont be going there again, but any other ideas on how to help?   Cuttlebone?  

Ok thanks all.

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg

41 minutes ago, Frank said:

Sorry to hear of your tragedies. I have a couple of questions:

What living creatures are in there?

Are those marimo moss balls?

Hi, I have 1 very inactive Betta fish. For plants I have the Java fern and yes 3 Marimo moss balls.

As long as you keep the filter wet, and keep some flow going through it, your bacteria will be ok. 

If you lower the water level so much that you can't use the filter, but keep the media wet, with tank water, the bacteria will be ok for a while. I dunno for how long.

I’d recommend:

-magnetic tank scraper

-shortening the time you have the light on

-Otocinclus catfish if you have space. They’re small but eat lots of algae 

-It shouldn’t hurt the plants if you take them out and wipe off the algae 

-Make sure Gary three isn’t a mystery snail. They don’t seem to put a dent in algae 

Edited by Patrick_G

20 hours ago, Patrick_G said:

I’d recommend:

-magnetic tank scraper

-shortening the time you have the light on

-Otocinclus catfish if you have space. They’re small but eat lots of algae 

-It shouldn’t hurt the plants if you take them out and wipe off the algae 

-Make sure Gary three isn’t a mystery snail. They don’t seem to put a dent in algae 

Yes, I've decided on nerite snails instead for the next time.  I dont think I have space for the Otocinclus (its only a 5 gal and the betta has Broken back syndrome so I dont want any chance he'll be picked on.)  We have started shortening the light time, the scraper sounds like a good idea.

• Like 1