Seachem Flourish-Is it Still Good?

Hello!

I just found some Seachem in the back of my fridge, which I vaguely remember purchasing from around ten years ago. I couldn't find the expiration date; the liquid is dark brown and smells a bit like soy sauce. Is this salvageable? I thought it was supposed to be clear...Seachem is so expensive...

Edited by Volcano

Uh... I wouldn't use it if I were you. I once got a bottle of Seachem flourish from amazon with the seal broken and it was something like what you described but not that dark. I used it for a couple of days and the fish and plants were fine. My new bottle I got expires 2024. So I think 10 years is out of question.

Edited by Mengo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mengo said:

Uh... I wouldn't use it if I were you. I once got a bottle of Seachem flourish from amazon with the seal broken and it was something like what you described but not that dark. I used it for a couple of days and the fish and plants were fine. My new bottle I got expires 2024. So I think 10 years is out of question.

Ahhhh.....thank you. I guess I will put that on my list, then:) (pain)

Hi @Volcano

Keep in mind Seachem Flourish is a mixture of chemicals and as such they do not degrade like organics do.  Seachem states that the product has a shelf life of four (4) years but that assumes it is kept at room temperature and exposed to light.  You have keep the chemical mixture very dark and very cool during this period of time, I suspect it is still viable and will work just fine.  It would certainly try it and see, I think you will be pleased.  There is nothing in there that will become toxic, worse case it has no effect whatsoever.  -Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1