Quarantining new fish

SusieQ

I am not in a position currently to setup a quarantine tank. Is it generally frowned upon to add fish to a tank and treat the whole tank with aquarium co-ops quarantine trio? The new fish are going to be added very slowly, probably only making changes once every six months or so. 

Honestly as much as I would encourage to quarintine all the time, the probablilty in my experiance of actually bringing hom a sick fish is very slim. Yes, it does depend on where you get your fish, but if you get your fish from a store that you haven't had many problems with and all there fish look healthy your probably fine.

Especially if you only have one tank, setting up another tank just to put fish in every few months can seem impossible. I went YEARS without having a QT tank and for the most part didn't have a single problem.

If you have the space, money to get a QT tank, I would say go for it! Its always better to be safe then sorry.

Here is a video of a QT tank our very own @Irene did, its cost effective and space effective too:

• Like 1

If I only had the one tank, and I could get my fish from a great store I would not treat with Med Trio every time I bought new fish. The meds can be rough on fish. And constantly introducing the antibiotics to healthy fish could create problems. 

However there are alternatives to a qt Tank that I would highly recommend. You could get a plastic tote, usb air pump, small heater (if needed), and a sponge filter pretty cheap. Check out this blog. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/quarantine-tank

• Like 1