20 Gallon Long Brackish Tank

Chris

On 10/18/2021 at 8:13 PM, Patrick_G said:

From what I understand it’s possible in .002 increments. I’m going to try it that way because I have plenty of cycled freshwater media. It’ll be a good learning experience and if it crashes I’ll be able to deal with the small bio load with water changes and prime. 

You're correct - about .002 per week is supposed to be safe. From what I understand, you're not actually acclimating the different nitrifiers to a higher salinity, but are killing off the less salt-tolerant strains slow enough for salt-tolerants ones to take their place without too much disruption.

The Crypt Wendtii I put into this tank has begun to quickly deteriorate - it was doing okay, and begun to turn yellow a couple days ago before beginning to rot today. Unfortunate, but so far the Jungle Val seems to living. The Pothos is actually growing, albeit with some old leaves showing die-off. Hm.

You can see the shriveled up leaf at the bottom.

Crypt.JPG.1b4e67c9af5c6248f2dfc6d25c4b548b.JPG

That unfurling leaf on the pothos has made progress, though.

Pothos.JPG.6346c7965ca052be500a1658e530bce8.JPG

And, while this isn't the best photo for it, the puffer's beak does look a bit better. Still long on one side, but much improved.

F8.JPG.0f81fd81342e3c2dcb573b4c2a5f9128.JPG

Edited by Chris

• 1 month later...

I just caught the male golden wonder killi with a balloon belly molly in its' mouth... somehow. If anything, I'd expect him to go after the gobies, not the mollies. Crazy fish.

I was feeding some frozen food to the tanks, so I dumped out the food that was in the cup I had thawed it in and scooped him up.  I don't think he swallowed the molly (he doesn't have a MASSIVE bulge in his stomach), but I'd be surprised if it lives. I haven't found it yet. So... New killifish tank, anyone?

I should mention that he's been pretty aggressive to the female in the tank - just a few scrapes and nipped fins, but I've noticed that he's most certainly the most aggressive fish in the tank. Is this common behavior from these guys, or did I just pick out a particularly ornery male?

IMG_20211218_152636398_HDR.jpg.2062f20b28e3a5c074f4727456d9a535.jpg