Gourami water temps

Mandy411

I'm looking for a centerpiece fish for a 20 long unheated tank. Temp ranges from 68-72 (averages 70) in the winter and 74-78 in the summer. Will a honey or powder blue gourmi stay comfortable in these temps? I should mention I'm not interested in paradise fish or apisto borellii in this tank...maybe in another setup in the future 🙂

You are going to need a heater in that tank. I'm not sure where you live and how long your winters are. But if your winters are 4-5+ months that's to long for tropical fish to be in a tank at 68-72, I would say anything longer then a week at that temp is bad. At least to keep the fish healthy long term.

Edited by MartyO

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2021 at 11:02 PM, Mandy411 said:

I'm looking for a centerpiece fish for a 20 long unheated tank. Temp ranges from 68-72 (averages 70) in the winter and 74-78 in the summer. Will a honey or powder blue gourmi stay comfortable in these temps? I should mention I'm not interested in paradise fish or apisto borellii in this tank...maybe in another setup in the future 🙂

Hey there! Sorry this is pretty late, but I hope it helps anyways. Unfortunately, a honey or powder blue gourami would not work in these temperatures. However, many subtropical species will work in a tank of 68-72. Species include the peppered cories (Corydoras paleatus), zebra danios, white cloud mountain minnows, dojo loaches, hillstream loaches, and rosy barbs to name a few. Even Endler's livebearers or variatus platies might work. I hope this helps!

Edited by CorydorasEthan