Quarantine Meds and cloudy water question

Acara Mom

Starting a new tank so quarantining the first group of fish with trio. After 24 hours, my water is very cloudy and some yucky stuff floating around (some of which is stringy)  Just read one of Aquarium Co-Op's blogs that said not to feed for a few days...but a little late on that because I fed them since they came from big box store. Question: how long do I let them swim in such a mess? Is this normal? Ps I have another tank but never had this issue. 

Ps I am new to the area that I live in so I was shopping around at different fish stores and picked up some plants from a kind of interesting pet store that did a lot of more natural looking tanks that were not the cleanest looking. I put a plant that floats in the same tank from that shop. I suppose it could’ve had some yucky stuff on it

The cycled sponge filter and a little bag of cycled bio rings are tucked in the back. I had the filter items in a grow out tank that previously held my EBA fry until I moved them to large tank.  I'm checking water daily since newer setup in 10 gal quarantine tank  I watched it for about a week and all good. Two days almost new fish and water was perfect. PH 6.8-7  0 on all others. Also, the water in this area has low PH and low KH GH. I've raise it a little with crushed coral

Maracyn says it can cause cloudy water but the debris in the bottom of the tank now is concerning. There are a few tiny pieces of sand particles those at the very white pieces that you see in the photo but I left the tank bare bottom since it's a quarantine thank

I checked the water parameters again and they are perfect. I decided to psiphon out the debris and not add any additional water to not cause dilution of the medications. Thanks for your input! 

if anybody has any thoughts on what all that junk was in the water please let me know. This is a nice forum. I just found it tonight. I am enjoying reading other people's posts and thank you for your input

Edited by Acara Mom
  • Like 1

Sounds like you have a good plan. I just wanted to rule out water parameters. I have had cloudy water running meds before. Normally clears up after a day or two. 

As far as the stuff on the bottom of the tank it looks like mulm but hard to tell in the picture. 

I have this happening in my QT tub--The first time I thought it was b/c I set it up with a cycled sponge and some Fritzyme the day I started using it--figured it was my last minute setup.  Now that tub's been cycling over a month and it's stayed very cloudy just using paracleanse.  Parameters have stayed totally normal and the fish seem fine, so I'm just going with it.  There's debris on the bottom of this tank because it has fry that I'm QTing and they can't go a week without eating.  I figure that's where the bottom gunk comes from, but the cloudy water was instant when I added the Paracleanse and has not gone away.  

This may or may not be helpful, but I figured I'd share that everyone seems to be coming through ok even though the water is ugly!

When I used the same meds in my QT tank (not tub) no cloudy water.  No clue why!

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am coming to the same conclusion! Some of what I saw in the water may have been some parasites and some may have been a reaction to the food or other material in the cycled sponges etc. my water is looking better today and the fish swimming around happy so I think we are good! God bless thank you so much again