HOB Filter Modification

Dino Tamer

I currently have a hang on back filter for my 10G tank and plan to modify it for better efficiency. I was wondering if I could modify it even if it is currently already set up and has been used for the past 2 weeks. I’m worried about the bacteria that has set itself up inside if I take out some of the media that came with it. Will this harm the few fish I currently have? I’m all ears. Thanks ahead of time!

I think that you can modify it but I would leave the cycled media inside the tank for about a week anyways. You could leave the cycled media inside the tank and modify your filter. The bacteria will eventually colonize on the new media and then you can take out the old cycled media. 

Put your new media in a bucket. Fill the bucket with tank water. Squeeze out the old media in the bucket. You've now seeded your new media with BB. If you can transition your new media in while still keeping some of your old media that will help ease your cycle.

What type/brand is the filter?  
maybe add a sponge to the intake.   Let that run for a month or so.   Remember the gravel  and all decorations have bacteria on them.   
unless you are having a problem.   Make changes slowly.   Less stress on you and the animals.   
my thoughts,  two weeks setup?   This tank isn’t cycled yet.   Slow down 

Good Luck