Your experiance with bettas and dragon stone

FrozenFins

Alright,

My betta has been showing sign of what I thought was "fin rot". I pulled him out, treated him and put him back in his display. fast forward a few weeks he is showing signs of it again, but no I'm thinking "is that finrot"? I have dragon stone in the tank, and he has been spending a lot of time by the stone lately, I was wondering if because it was sharp it was messing up with his fins. I have read of bettas needing soft decor for there fins like fake silk plants. Does anyone have any experiance with bettas and dragon stone?

I should also mention that the edges of his fins are uneven (why i thought it was finrot) but now looking closer, there is a tiny hole in his fin too, near the middle. Also there is a spec of red by the edge of the fin at one point.

I tried to take pictures but none of them really showed what I'm talking about.

I don't have a betta but I do use dragon stone exclusively in my tank. Given how jagged the edges can be, it is a possibility.  Is the betta or the stone new to the tank?  It would make the stone less likely the cause if both have been in the tank for some time and more likely if one of the two factors is new.

8 hours ago, Martin said:

I don't have a betta but I do use dragon stone exclusively in my tank. Given how jagged the edges can be, it is a possibility.  Is the betta or the stone new to the tank?  It would make the stone less likely the cause if both have been in the tank for some time and more likely if one of the two factors is new.

Somewhat new, maybe a few months.

I don't have any experience keeping a betta with dragon stone, but I do have a crowntail who has a "pinhole" in his tail.  It's about 1/4 of the way into his tail away from his body.  I've seen no signs of fin rot, changes in behavior, anything else that I can think of to be worried about, so I'm leaning towards it just being "one of those things" that can happen.  Certainly not definitive, but thought it might be helpful/encouraging!