PH and GH

Edward B

I was told not to chase numbers . But every time I test water in all my tanks with test strips , PH and GH are high . Is this ok ok? I have been keeping fish for almost two years . No visible signs of stress on fish but I just want to make sure they are leaving the best life in my aquariums . 

How high is you PH and GH? As long as it isnt crazy of the charts high, they should be fine. Over time fish can acclimate to your PH. Wild PH swings chasing it around up and down before they can acclimate to it is usually the biggest stress on fish. Much more so than a stable PH, be it stable high or stable low. Stability and consistency is the key. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mr. B,

I agree with Mr. Billy. Figure out where your baseline is and work with that. 

By the way, I'm assuming you have had this condition from the beginning and not something that has come up lately? Just checking because that would be a whole different story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My strategy is always to maintain a fishes natural habitat. A few generations of tank breeding does not reverse thousands of years of evolution. There's a difference between surviving and thriving. If you are worried, research your fishes natural habitat and emulate those parameters. PH swings do not harm fish, osmotic swings harm fish. My pH swings form 7.3 to 6.1 twice a day. Massive pH shifts occur in nature daily, but mineral shift is pretty consistent, so we can expect the same instances to occur in our tanks to no ill affect. Target your optimal GH, KH and your fish will thrive.