Trio Med Kit Questions

DieSentai

Hello all! I just got ich for the first time in years of having fish. I saw two dots 2 days ago and I am waiting for my med trio that I order from the website which shows to get here Thursday. For the time until I have slowly turned up the heat in the tank to 85F over the last 2 days. When the meds get here can I treat using all 3 or just do the ich X first? Thanks for the help! 

I wouldn't at all 3 to begin with. The ich x will help with the ich, not the maracyn. If you have salt I would suggest to add salt as you are waiting your ich x. Because you caught it so early, your not in any rush to get meds in the water. 

I treated ich buy dosing the API Super Ick Cure every day and doing a waterchange on the 3rd, 5th and final day of treatment. I didn't use any salt or adjust the temperture. All though adjusting the temp and using salt would defentley help the recovery process.

So in conclusion, only use ich x. If you want you can use salt, but its not mandatory.

Edited by James Black

I would turn up the heat after you get the meds as the heat will accelerate the disease process, you want the med to be in place when the parasites drop off and hatch so it kills them. If you have plants I would take the fish out and quarantine them and use the salt and meds in the quarantine tank because plants don't generally like salt in the dose you should apply.

43 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

I would turn up the heat after you get the meds as the heat will accelerate the disease process, you want the med to be in place when the parasites drop off and hatch so it kills them. If you have plants I would take the fish out and quarantine them and use the salt and meds in the quarantine tank because plants don't generally like salt in the dose you should apply.

From the video that was posted from the person who works at co-op they said that the virus cant live in tanks over 86F so I’m basically just trying to kill what I can as my fish can stand it the temp. I also have a planted tank so salt is a no go for me

Edited by DieSentai

Just now, DieSentai said:

From the video that was posted from the person who works at co-op they said that the virus cant live in tanks over 86F so I’m basically just trying to kill what I can as my fish can stand it the temp.

1 hour ago, James Black said:

I wouldn't at all 3 to begin with. The ich x will help with the ich, not the maracyn. If you have salt I would suggest to add salt as you are waiting your ich x. Because you caught it so early, your not in any rush to get meds in the water. 

I treated ich buy dosing the API Super Ick Cure every day and doing a waterchange on the 3rd, 5th and final day of treatment. I didn't use any salt or adjust the temperture. All though adjusting the temp and using salt would defentley help the recovery process.

So in conclusion, only use ich x. If you want you can use salt, but its not mandatory.

So you think turning up the heat for now until the meds get here will help as I can’t use salt in my planted tank?

Do you have them in quarantine, or in your regular tank?

You don't want the ich parasite dots to drop off and get in your substrate which they will do eventually as the heat increases their rate of growth because once they hatch they will look for another host thus spreading the disease. Once you have the fish in quarantine I would do both add salt, and increase heat, and treat as soon as your meds arrive.

Edited by Jungle Fan

I started the med trio yesterday for some new fish in a quarantine tank. As Corey suggests I added all three at once and will wait a week to take them out. After I add the fish to my main tank, should I do a water change in the quarantine tank? Or will it dissolve on its own?