Najas marina

GHSEZG

One of my ponds is about 1/2 covered with what I have identified as Najas marina, or Spiny naiad, spiny water nymph. It is closely related to Guppy Grass. It thrives in extremely hard water. I have been using it in my tanks with Goldfish, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, Mollies and Guppies and they all seem to love it. It grows rooted in the pond but I just float it in the tanks. The fish nibble off the roots faster than it grows floating in the tanks, so I just put a new bunch in every week or so since I have an unlimited quantity available. Would there be a market for this plant? I have seen no sign of it in the aquarium trade.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello from Water Weed!  I think the little fish in my tank  would LOVE to have a spiny hiding place like yours from your pond. Could I buy a start from you?   I used to see it  when I was young but it has bee "cleaned up" so now no ponds around me have it anymore . I always thought it beautiful and helpful for the young fish I'm  glad yo still have it I though it was extinct!

• 3 months later...
On 6/6/2024 at 11:39 AM, Water Weed said:

PLease can I buy a start of najas marina from you?  I would LOVE to offer it in my tank for baby whatevers to feel secure  THANKS    Name your price.

@Water Weed, @GHSEZG was last on the forum in February, but may get a notification now that I've used the @ function. I didn't see Naja marina on Etsy or AquaBid, and searching "buy Naja marina" came up empty handed, too. So we might have to see if GHSEZG ever sees this, or maybe someone else here has some.

Is the plant allowed for sale in your area? It looks like it may be classified as invasive in some places, but my two minutes searching certainly doesn't qualify me as an expert!

@Water Weed,@Rube_Goldfish

Hi, sorry for the long absence. I put Koi and goldfish and cichlids in that pond and they completely wiped out the Najas marina in 2-3 years. Last spring a small amount came up for a short while but was rapidly removed, and this year I am seeing no sign of it.

• Thanks 1

For people looking to buy it try looking up the common names.

From Wikipedia

"Najas marina is a species of aquatic plant known by the common names spiny water nymph, spiny naiad and holly-leaved naiad."

• Thanks 1