What is the best buffer besides crushed coral?

FishObsessed

Little info: keeping goldfish in soft tap water with practically zero k h. I added crushed Coral and it'll raise kh a little bit but not too high, my pH tends to be around 6.8 so I'm wondering what other options are the best. Equilibrium makes zero sense to me because I do not have plants in my tank, so I was considering seachem gold buffer or API proper pH 7.5 any recommendations?

I like that the API product also serves as a water conditioner, but with seachem I'd still have to use a dechlorinator

Edited by fishy

You could use wonder shells. They would raise both kH and gH. When I had goldfish I used calcium carbonate rocks in the tank as a buffer. I probably didn’t need them since I already had hard water, so I can’t say it’s better than crushed coral. I was just neurotic when it came to goldies.

Are you running a bare bottom tank? Aragonite substrate would be good for goldfish as they are used by African cichlid keepers.

26 minutes ago, OceanTruth said:

You could use wonder shells. They would raise both kH and gH. When I had goldfish I used calcium carbonate rocks in the tank as a buffer. I probably didn’t need them since I already had hard water, so I can’t say it’s better than crushed coral. I was just neurotic when it came to goldies.

Are you running a bare bottom tank? Aragonite substrate would be good for goldfish as they are used by African cichlid keepers.

I love my goldfish! I just have gravel in the bottom. I've considered sprinkling the coral in with the gravel but not sure that I want to make that commitment as far as the looks of the tank. Other than that, I have a background on it and nothing else. They have room to swim around and beg for food. But I have wondered if crushed coral is more effective in the substrate vs in the hob. They act pretty happy so it might be one of those things if it ain't broke dont fix it.

Anyway thanks for the input

Edited by fishy
  • Like 1