Hello Fish Friends!

BenGourami

Hi! I’m Ben. I live in Mississippi, U.S.A. I currently have 9 aquariums, mostly small with small inhabitants (the largest I have is a 55 gallon). I am particularly interested in finding ways to keep natural looking aquariums using the most natural materials and things easily available (basically scaping tanks with hardscape and plants and botanicals but with the least amount of purchased materials possible). I like this because it saves money, but also it’s a fun challenge to see how I can use things that you wouldn’t typically find in an aquarium store but look right at home in a natural aquarium. I find that the aquarium hobby has a lot of “rules” but nearly every “rule” has hundreds of exceptions, so I enjoy forums and similar places to see what all is actually possible! I’ll attach a few tank photos.

213C9E0E-3182-440E-B0E0-42080A3B95B6.jpeg

E32B36F9-4BC4-4CED-9468-B8EDF0AED505.jpeg

5D058B65-4193-430D-B082-8EC8FB761E18.jpeg

9778F343-EED5-4038-853F-A1E6FA1E7A9E.jpeg

• Like 1

You can't get harder in a hardscape than bricks 🙂

40 minutes ago, BenGourami said:

I am particularly interested in finding ways to keep natural looking aquariums using the most natural materials and things easily available (basically scaping tanks with hardscape and plants and botanicals but with the least amount of purchased materials possible).

I have had thoughts along similar lines. Like, what if everything in the aquarium (plants included) was collected by me from my yard, my county or my state. I think it would turn out better than some might think.

I look forward to seeing what you are working on.

I wanted to do this with my 55-gallon & was successful to a point. My favorite addition were the big rocks you see in the attached pic.  My dad had collected them throughout his life (he passed in 2016), & they were spread throughout his yard.  I excavated them & proudly added them to my tank. You could see them better before my plants grew in. 

Your tanks look great! 

Alesha 

20191026_130744.jpg

20191028_094158.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...