Banana Plant Soccer

JaredL

I recently added a couple small banana plants in my aquarium. Amusingly, my yoyo loaches seem to enjoy knocking them around the tank. Will they be OK? Is there something I need to do? I have fairly big gravel so I can't really secure it that way without burying the tubers too deep.

I had a similar issue with my dojo loaches. My banana plants dont seem to like being transplanted by my loaches. Best i could do is distract them with marimo moss balls, and use a combination of plant weights and make a small crater or bowl out of my gravel to hold the tubers in place. They still get knocked around, they just dont move as far. Overtime the dojos will level out my makeshift gravel crater and i have to make new ones. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LudwigiaLarry said:

I recently purchased a banana plant from the coop, it came with just tubers and no leaves or stems. Does anyone know if it will still sprout leaves?

Yes, i have purchased some without leaves. They will still sprout leaves, and grow roots. Think of the tubers like a camels hump, its where they store extra nutrients, that they will use to grow and sprout new leaves with. It will take a bit of time for it to happen, but it will happen. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Will Billy said:

Best i could do is distract them with marimo moss balls, 

I'm sorry, but after reading the title of "banana plant soccer" I laughed out loud when I read this part. If they like banana plant soccer, is this called moss ball tennis?  Do they compete in Aquarium Plant Olympics? It must be fun (in some way) to watch the antics tho probably frustrating at times to fix the mess! 😀

• Haha 2