Question

If you mean rotted off like the connecting stems when water lettuce shoots off a new head, then it most likely alive, if it rotted off like like it was a stem and you you chopped off the rotten stuff, it might be alive. If no roots sprout from it within a few weeks,  or if the whole thing starts turning brown/ discolored I'd just toss it. To keep your plants healthy, make sure they're getting the right conditions to where they are found naturally, the right amount of light, soil, placement in tank, and nutrients available. A lot of plants have a wide range so you could have the right requirements for many species at the same time. 

Also, do you know what kind of wood you have in the top left corner of the picture? It looks really nice!

• Administrators

I'm not completely sure if i'm looking at the same thing - are you referring to the long spiral shaped thing? I've seen those occasionally on the Jungle val that the Co-Op sells. I think it's a flower stem from when the plants were growing out at the farm. It's normal for them to die off and come back as the plant grows. I hope that's what you're looking at anyway lol 😛 

Jungle val propagates by sending out baby val plants via a thin stem along the substrate line. So if it's doing that in your tank, you're in good shape, just let it do it's thing and provide plenty of light and fertilizer. Even if you just have healthy roots, a plant can bounce back in time. 

17 minutes ago, Lizzie Block said:

I'm not completely sure if i'm looking at the same thing - are you referring to the long spiral shaped thing? I've seen those occasionally on the Jungle val that the Co-Op sells. I think it's a flower stem from when the plants were growing out at the farm. It's normal for them to die off and come back as the plant grows. I hope that's what you're looking at anyway lol 😛 

Jungle val propagates by sending out baby val plants via a thin stem along the substrate line. So if it's doing that in your tank, you're in good shape, just let it do it's thing and provide plenty of light and fertilizer. Even if you just have healthy roots, a plant can bounce back in time. 

Yea it was the spiral thanks for the feed back!

27 minutes ago, Keeg said:

If you mean rotted off like the connecting stems when water lettuce shoots off a new head, then it most likely alive, if it rotted off like like it was a stem and you you chopped off the rotten stuff, it might be alive. If no roots sprout from it within a few weeks,  or if the whole thing starts turning brown/ discolored I'd just toss it. To keep your plants healthy, make sure they're getting the right conditions to where they are found naturally, the right amount of light, soil, placement in tank, and nutrients available. A lot of plants have a wide range so you could have the right requirements for many species at the same time. 

Also, do you know what kind of wood you have in the top left corner of the picture? It looks really nice!

Thanks for the feedback! if I remember correct it is spider driftwood I got it out of a big driftwood tub at my local fish store.

• Thanks 1