bbs vs wingless fruit fly

CT_

I hear bbs are are really healthy but I just discovered wingless fruit flys are a thing and they seem easy to keep/culture but I don't hear about them.  Are they not as good for fish?  For me, I'd rather keep them vs make bbs unless there are downsides

I've always got my flies from Josh's Frogs (same website name) and they carry Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila hydei which is larger. These are the flightless varieties and are wonderful to feed fish. I've never seen fish go as crazy for food as they do these. 

The larger hydei is the kind I've always chosen since their life span is a little longer and if I want to feed smaller fish, I just feed younger flies. 

Although they don't fly, they are super fast. You have to get the knack of banging the container on the table to get them in the bottom, open the lid real fast and shake a bunch out onto the water, then quickly put the lid back on. Removing the lid while just on the table is a mistake you'll only make once. 

Personally, I would go for ease of care and culturing. 

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Respectfully,

Phil

• Like 2

Daniel,

I totally agree with you. 

Just raising the flies for fun and it's a great treat for some fish. The baby brine shrimp, you can't live without. Way more bang for the buck and much more reliable. If a culture crashes you are back in business in a day. 

• Like 1