Mixing Fry in grow outs?

Brandy

So this may be a ridiculous question. But if you had fry of 2 very different species, say guppies and small cichilds, or corydoras, And they had newborn fry at the same time would they be easier to raise together in one grow out? Assume that the fry gets transferred to a new grow out in a month, about the time you can reliably sex the guppies. Are the growth rates too different? Has anyone done this? I know there are ACO videos of community breeding, like shrimp and guppies and plecos....That is kind of where my mind was.

About a week ago I put in about 9 red tuxedo guppy fry in with my big batch of corydoras aeneus fry that ranged from about a week to 3 weeks older. It seemed to make sense and I haven't seen them interact with each other at all, but they wouldn't be a problem anyway unless it was newly hatched corys with adult guppies. I think with cichlids, as long as the other fry aren't a mouthful, then it would be ok, at least till they grow out for a couple months.

Thanks. I always have guppy fry and all the tanks to care for them, but with all the "surprise" fry I've been hearing about lately, I was thinking about the "what if" questions. I'm set up to take care of them, but they might have to share digs with the guppies! At least for a bit...

10 hours ago, Brandy said:

So this may be a ridiculous question. But if you had fry of 2 very different species, say guppies and small cichilds, or corydoras, And they had newborn fry at the same time would they be easier to raise together in one grow out? Assume that the fry gets transferred to a new grow out in a month, about the time you can reliably sex the guppies. Are the growth rates too different? Has anyone done this? I know there are ACO videos of community breeding, like shrimp and guppies and plecos....That is kind of where my mind was.

I do this all the time in my fry tanks and the fry trays. Many times it’s like angels and cories, or rams and plecos, guppies an cories, etc. For me I tend not to mix like guppies and angels because one May out-compete the other. Where as guppies and cories can compliment each other.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1