Checking in from Michigan!

etheridgej

Hey everyone, my names Josh and I’ve only been in the hobby since January 2020... right before COVID hit; which since COVID I now suffer from MTS (multi-tank syndrome).

I actually got into the hobby from seeing a really cool “blood shrimp” in a LFS (Preuss Pets, highly recommend you check them out in Lansing, MI if you are ever in Michigan).

Anyway, I scoured the the Internet and realized saltwater wasn’t what I wanted to get into, but then I found my love for neocardina shrimp and snails! I absolutely love keeping them, I have a few snail varieties: Mystery, Nerite (various), Devil Spike, Porcelain (great for betta tanks I’ve learned). I am starting to keep some fish, some bettas, a couple Koi Swordtail females... a lot has happened in 8 months!! 

I’m extremely greatful to have stumbled upon Aquairum Co-op’s content, along with many other YouTubers, it has really made entering the aquarium hobby easy, fun, and created a community of support. THANK YOU!  

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 9:47 PM, etheridgej said:

Porcelain (great for betta tanks I’ve learned).

Ooh, what makes them great for betta tanks?  We're playing with the idea of setting up a shrimp tank or adding them to existing tanks.  Just starting to get serious about the research though.

On 8/19/2020 at 12:47 AM, etheridgej said:

I actually got into the hobby from seeing a really cool “blood shrimp” in a LFS (Preuss Pets, highly recommend you check them out in Lansing, MI if you are ever in Michigan).

I've been in Preuss Pets several times when I've been up visiting my brother who lives just south of Lansing. It is a neat store.

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2020 at 5:07 AM, ForestJenn said:

Ooh, what makes them great for betta tanks?  We're playing with the idea of setting up a shrimp tank or adding them to existing tanks.  Just starting to get serious about the research though.

They are super flat to the glass so if your betta is a aggressive it is very hard for them to get to the snail itself. My betta didn’t like the Nerite snail we had in there but the limpet snail he acts like it’s not even there. So sorry for the long delay!

Good day!

Another Michigander! Just joined the forum and it just so happens Pruess is my LFS as well. Used to live just south of Lansing but recently moved about 40 minutes east down 69. Still make the drive to Pruess though, as they are definitely the place to go for fish. 

Happy fish keeping from another central Michigander. 

• Like 1

It really is a nice pet store. I would wait till the covid stuff has passed though as at the moment its limited capacity and you will want to take time to really enjoy it. They have a lot of fresh and marine aquariums, birds, lizards and a lot of just really cool stuff in general to check out.

I remember going there when I was in college. Now I'm back in the gr area and my main lfs is water colors aquarium gallery and I also make the trek out to blue fish as well. I prefer water colors for livestock since they quarentine everything they bring in, blue fish is awesome for hardscape materials.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alison said:

I remember going there when I was in college. Now I'm back in the gr area and my main lfs is water colors aquarium gallery and I also make the trek out to blue fish as well. I prefer water colors for livestock since they quarentine everything they bring in, blue fish is awesome for hardscape materials.

I’m going to have to check this out!

• Like 1