Guppies eating floating plant roots

CT_

I got some floating plants with dime sized leaves. I not sure what kind (petstore just said "floating plants"), but I've noticed that the roots keep getting shorter and shorter.  Is there any way of stopping my guppies from eating them short of putting the plants into a breeder basket?

Am I under feeding?  Will they stop if they get more food? 

I agree with @Koitheres probably something on the roots the guppies are attracted to. Also if the roots got damaged between the store and your tank the guppies might be eating that away. I have found guppy's/platys and other live-bearers to be great at keeping plants clean. If you have a decent light those floating plants will be taking off in no time. 

• Like 1

OK I'll just keep an eye on them then.  I did a 2 day alum "wash" before i moved the plants in so maybe that hurt the roots some and they're just cleaning the dead parts.  So far the leaves still look good.  🙂

My guppies are always plucking at floater roots, but then again they are always plucking at my driftwood, glass, filters, gravel, my hand etc... I just assumed they were plucky little guys lol. My first batch of water lettuce was experimental, and rather small. I suspect they plucked it to death. Using the shrimp theory of getting a bunch to breed faster than they could get eaten, i bought a larger batch of water lettuce. That seemed to do the trick. With more roots to choose from, instead of always picking on the same plant repeatedly, my water lettuce thrived the second time around. 

• Like 2