Clip on light for Marineland 5 gallon portrait?

I got the 5 gallon marineland tank Cory recommended years ago. It houses my betta. I am trying to grow some Val along with some anubius gold and Dwarf Lily. I have put the pink flamingo crypt there for the time being, but havent decided where it will go.

Any recommendations for a light that would suit that tank? I can link it if needed. It is rimless.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brandy said:

I have the VIVOSUN Aquarium Light Blue White Clip on Fish Tank Light LED Light on that tank, planted with madagascar lace plant (fun, but wrong for this tank on so many levels), amazon sword, and dwarf hair grass. I see that is unavailable from the original amazon seller, but maybe you can find something similar?

Hm I'll have to look. This issue with this tank is I refuse to remove the lid, I love this betta too much to worry about him going airborne. And it can only clip on the small filter cavity on the back, so it makes this a bit frustrating for just a 5 gallon haha. 

38 minutes ago, stowcenter93 said:

Hm I'll have to look. This issue with this tank is I refuse to remove the lid, I love this betta too much to worry about him going airborne. And it can only clip on the small filter cavity on the back, so it makes this a bit frustrating for just a 5 gallon haha. 

This one fit barely in the top of the filter compartment. The lids both still fit-clear glass and black plastic, tho the plastic part was always a little floppy and ill fitting on mine.

8 minutes ago, Brandy said:

This one fit barely in the top of the filter compartment. The lids both still fit-clear glass and black plastic, tho the plastic part was always a little floppy and ill fitting on mine.

Mine is not a perfect fit, but it's actually nice cause I can slide the glass back for feeding. 

35 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

I have the same tank and I think the Finnex Nano will probably work: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/lights/products/finnex-planted-nano-clip-light

But I've just used the light it came with and it's growing java ferns and anubias fine.

I just am not a huge fan of the "color" it gives, and would be willing to upgrade, especially with some Val and lily in there. Thanks for the link!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Norton said:

I’ve considered this tank to put next to my desk at home, and I’m pretty sure the light is strong enough for low light plants. I would try the light you have before buying something else. 

I've had it for ~ 2 months now. DEFINITELY recommend it for aesthetics. It's a gorgeous tank, the filter is much stronger than gentle flow, even with point it at glass, but it works fine for a betta. 

Would you cal Val a low light plant?

• Like 1

I think I would. Under high light I had a lot of algae on it. So I think it would do well with low light. And I’m not really sure if that light is a lowlight. Based on your original description I would 100% try the light on the tank. Especially with how the light mounts. 

If you haven’t had Val long, it can take a while to settle in. Meaning you might not see much growth for several months, and then it takes off. If you search on this forum you will find a lot of people asking why their Val doesn’t grow. It will, eventually. 

2 minutes ago, Mitch Norton said:

I think I would. Under high light I had a lot of algae on it. So I think it would do well with low light. And I’m not really sure if that light is a lowlight. Based on your original description I would 100% try the light on the tank. Especially with how the light mounts. 

If you haven’t had Val long, it can take a while to settle in. Meaning you might not see much growth for several months, and then it takes off. If you search on this forum you will find a lot of people asking why their Val doesn’t grow. It will, eventually. 

Yeah was not worries about not having growth yet. I had some good melt on the long leaves and now its stable, green and rooting. Didnt know if I could get better results with a better light OR if another light might work better aesthetically. I'm trying to think long term.

• Like 2