Any help? Fluval Aquaclear 20 Filter Impeller Noise Rattling.

Sunny Doan

Recently I had some extra sand and decided to add some in into my 2-3 year old 10 gallon tank, the one problem is I think some sand may have gotten into the filter even with it off and it started to make this rattling noise, i tried cleaning out the pre filter and then cleaning out the whole filter itself nothing. I took the filter apart learned some new things but nothing really helps. From what I've gathered the impeller makes almost no noise on its own. I tested this by taking it apart and dunking it in the water and doing a sound test. The only time it makes the irritating rattling noise is when it comes in contact with the filter housing. As soon as I screw the pump back on it starts to make the noise. I thought that it must have been hitting something on the body of the filter and I haven't seen anything. The noise is keeping me up at night and I'm just a kid taking apart his filter so I'm not really sure how any of it is supposed to work. All I know is it wasn't making that noise before, now it is. Here is a link to the filter noise in a separate testing container. 

4 minutes ago, Cory said:

Try reseating it with the o ring? Also make sure you have the shaft installed correctly. If it's missing a rubber grommet on the bottom it'll rattle like that as well. 

That might be it, I don't see an o ring anywhere maybe it got lost while I was clearing it out? This is what the impeller looks like right now so I'm not sure if it's missing anything.

IMG_9740.jpg

3 minutes ago, Cory said:

The o ring would be on the outside of the filter if you removed the motor. If you haven't removed it, then that's likely not the problem. 

Okok seems that that isn't the problem, I am almost certain that it is an impeller or motor issue as I've sound tested the filter with all parts in, different parts removed and I even had to dunk the whole filter into a bucket and run it or else air would run in and I wouldn't be able to hear. But for the most part as soon as I take the motor and filter out of the bucket it starts rattling. But the only time it doesnt rattle is when I let the motor run upside down in the bucket, I did this to let any potential sand fall down if there was any.

Have you tried silicone lubricant on the impeller shaft? That quieted mine quite a bit, especially when new. Eventually they get a nice bio film that acts as its own lube. 

Also, some folks have modded their impeller shaft by securing the white plastic piece of the impeller so it no longer moves freely. I've not done it myself.

Two tips here:

1. The shaft wears out and is replaceable.
  2. Lubrication can help a great deal with noise in the motor

I would recommend putting silicone grease on the impeller shaft.  Easiest way to do that is to shove some silicone grease into the hole in the center of the impeller and then drop it on the shaft and slide it up and down a few times.  Fire it up.  If it still makes noise, hunt down a replacement shaft.

Another interesting tip.  All Aquaclear filters, except the 110 use the same motor.  The difference between them is the impeller and the number of blades on it.

So, if you need a new motor, you can buy an Aquaclear 20 and swap out the motor.  A new Aquaclear 20 is usually cheaper than a replacement motor.

• Like 1

Chances are that when you added the sand some got sucked up into the filter. This is killer to an impeller and it's shaft. My guess is that you probably got some fine sand between the impeller and shaft. This will wear the inside of the impeller very quick and then it will start to run in a wobbly fashion thus causing noise. Once this starts it will continue to get worse and worse. At this point you will need to replace the impeller and the shaft. Visually you can see if the shaft is worn or if the hole through the impeller looks oval rather that round. Like others have said you can use some thick silicone grease on the shaft to see if that will quiet it down.