Aquarium Coop Sponge Filter for Shrimp Fry

Hamilton

Hi, I'm new here. Came across some of Cory's helpful YouTube videos as I was setting up a 5g cherry shrimp-only tank. I'm interested in buying an Aquarium Coop Small Sponge filter for the tank and was wondering if anyone here would know if it's safe for shrimp fry OR if the pores may too be big since the sponge filter is purposely made to be coarse?

Thanks in advance. 

47 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Hi, I'm new here. Came across some of Cory's helpful YouTube videos as I was setting up a 5g cherry shrimp-only tank. I'm interested in buying an Aquarium Coop Small Sponge filter for the tank and was wondering if anyone here would know if it's safe for shrimp fry OR if the pores may too be big since the sponge filter is purposely made to be coarse?

Thanks in advance. 

I have one in an 9 gal with Cherry and Blue Dream. No issues whatsoever, baby shrimp everywhere.

I see shrimplets crawl inside of mine. I assume that if they can crawl in that they can crawl out. I don't run a lot of air through it and they don't seem to be getting sucked into it. I still see growth in my shrimp population. I also hardly ever service my sponge filter, so I doubt that anything as large as shrimp fry can make it inside.

1355079965_20210119_003617-12.jpg.fe70ef3adf6525c1ebfb30ff0bf9d9c9.jpg

Edited by Aubrey
Add photo
  • Like 2

I use the co-op sponge filters in my shrimp tanks. I usually wash my sponge filters out in the utility sink in my fish rom as I have well water and don't have to worry about chlorine, but with the shrimp tank filters I clean them in a white bucket and let the gunk settle to make sure that there are no baby shrimp that got washed out, and I've only ever found one or two anyways.