New co2 user questions

Just set up co2 today, running 30ish psi about 1.5 bubbles per second, 2" jraldi diffuser in a 55 gallon, how many hours should I expect it to run before the drop checker turns green with the checker on the opposite end? I have guppies and neocardinia, everything I've read says 30ppm is too much for the shrimp and that's the level my checker is supposed to change and I'd hate to surpass the ideal level before it tells me. does anyone have first hand experience they can share to make sure I dont kill my critters in the pursuit of nicer plants? 

20210115_013145.jpg

Edited by Jeeperscreepersmyth

Every tank is different. You have a large plant load, two sponge filters and a HOB filter. The plants will use co2 during the day, the bubbles from the sponge filters will help off gas the co2. The output from the HOB can also help off gas the co2. It's something you'll have to learn on your own. Tippy toeing up on the level is wisest. It's better to be too low than too high.

• Like 1

It depends on what you call the "correct level"? To me, you're at the correct level now. I'd just keep it at your current rate as long as nothing is suffering. If you do feel the need to increase the bubble count, just do it very slowly. Any added co2, even at sub-optimal levels is good. Your plants seem to be doing well now. I don't see any algae in the photo. Everything seems fine, so to me, that's the correct level. Add too much co2 and your livestock will start to suffer. I said this on another thread also, but you can have a plant centric tank by going very heavy on the co2 for optimal plant growth, but that will harm the fish, or you can have a fish centric tank by adding no co2. There's lots of room between the two extremes, but right now,based on your photo everything looks good to me.

• Like 1

Measure the degassed pH of your tank when the least possible CO2 is in the water, then measure the pH when the CO2 level is highest. A difference of 1 unit of pH is equal to 30ppm.

Don’t stress too much about this being a hard toxicity level though, because people often run a bit higher with shrimp. Just don’t go crazy, have some aeration or water movement (high 02 makes higher CO2 slightly safer), and you’ll be okay.

• Like 1