Doug_E

I have a Fluval 307 for my planted40b tank I just set up. It blows my plants around a bit more than I'd like. The fish like low flow, they hang out in the lower flow parts of the 20 long they are currently in. 

I have a cover (jumping fish and amano shrimp) and with the layout the filter intake/output will go in the back right corner.

I do like lilly pipes, but not the way you are limited in how you can position them. I could put it on the back side, but then that would blow right onto my val inches away. Putting it on the back means it would blow straight to the front and not get good circulation. 

The other and mabye better option is the Fluval spray bar. $20 and easy to install. It also is pretty discreet with its upper mounting position, and flow can be customized (number and size of holes). 

Are there other options to consider? Easy DIY spray bars that work better than the Fluval? For $20 its hard to beat unless it has some significant flaw.

Pvc spray bars are easy to make, but wouldn’t likely be all that much cheaper than the Fluval one by the time you have all the bits.

A spray bar would definitely disperse the flow a bit more. You lose the surface skimmer effect a lily pipe has, but that’s not the end of the world if you set things up properly.