Opinions on box filters...

Ramie

15 minutes ago, AdamTill said:

Super useful. Slightly “harder” to clean than sponge filters but you can run almost any media if you want (ie, filter floss to polish the water, purigen etc).

Arguably slightly less fry safe in that really tiny fry could get trapped.

No fry for me. Lol

• Like 1

I use box filters in anything that's not a display tank. I put bio media in them only to weight them down and really utilize them as something to pack with floss to do mechanical filtration. 

Most of the time, I'll also run a coarse sponge filter, like the one the coop sells. I find the coarse sponge isn't as good at mechanical filtration as a box filter and I find a box filter is easier than the dense sponge filters that clog quickly. 

Plus the floss always lets you know when it needs to be changed by being brown, as opposed to the dense black sponge filters.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tolstoy21 said:

I use box filters in anything that's not a display tank. I put bio media in them only to weight them down and really utilize them as something to pack with floss to do mechanical filtration. 

Most of the time, I'll also run a coarse sponge filter, like the one the coop sells. I find the coarse sponge isn't as good at mechanical filtration as a box filter and I find a box filter is easier than the dense sponge filters that clog quickly. 

Plus the floss always lets you know when it needs to be changed by being brown, as opposed to the dense black sponge filters.

Do you find they create enough flow? It would be my only filter if i choose to use it in a 10 gallon with a heater.

Hmmmm. I guess?

I think they create as much flow as the amount of air you're pushing through them. Even if they are clogged, I'd imagine air is going to create flow, same as a plain old airstone would outside a filter would.

I've never had a flow problem with them, but then again, I use them in pretty minimal setups, and not in my tanks with lots of plants and hardscaping that naturally create flow issues and dead spots.

Edited by tolstoy21

1 hour ago, tolstoy21 said:

Hmmmm. I guess?

I think they create as much flow as the amount of air you're pushing through them. Even if they are clogged, I'd imagine air is going to create flow, same as a plain old airstone would outside a filter would.

I've never had a flow problem with them, but then again, I use them in pretty minimal setups, and not in my tanks with lots of plants and hardscaping that naturally create flow issues and dead spots.

I have never used anything requiring an air pump before. Dead spots and hot and cold spots are my concerns. I have co ops little green hanging air pump to use with it..its meant for my new tank that i havent set up yet...i like that i can choose my media and its not as much current as i have a betta...so i decided to get that air pump and a box filter but then thought...oh no..maybe it wont have enough current. *face palm*